What do you think about Military School?

We are checking into a local Military School for our 12 year old son. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• yes i do, i am 26 but went to military school for 2 years. i was rebelous and did not give interest in academics what so ever. it straightened me out. it teaches you your interpersonal goals with disipline. i went from a 1.6 to a 3.8 g.p.a in 2 months and it really helped me disipline wise to listen to my parents and authority. i really wished i could go back to finish highschool and graduate alumni from there but the cost was too expensive. i honestly think it made me stronger and made me realize what i was capable of in a positive way.
    indysownlilbit

Answer by indysownlilbit at 2:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• No experience with it at all, and I would be afraid to send a 12 year old away from home to a place like that. I would be concerned that the child would feel "sent away", like he was rejected from the family.....especially if it was in response to problems at home. I am sure there are times when it is the right thing to do. I just picture the child feeling so alone.... and hurt.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:33 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• If I had the money, it would be the first thing I'd spend it on---military school for both DS13 and DS11!!!
    Anonymous

• I think that military school is not a bad idea. We are going to be putting our oldest in JROTC which is like a summer boot camp but it is with the military. After that when she gets in High School she will be going to ROTC. I think that it helps kids learn respect and how to be in control of themselves.
    mellowmomof3tn

Answer by mellowmomof3tn at 8:40 AM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I think military school is awesome. Since DH and I are Army, we can have military school here at home. My DD10, knows we DON'T PLAY, and we have an arsenal of military tactics that can be used to get her back in line.
    ZarsMom

Answer by ZarsMom at 7:20 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• We are looking into military school for our son (he is 14). We are also discussing it with him so he knows why we are doing it. He is headed down a bad road and we want to help him before its too late. I requested info from one here in PA, so we'll see how it goes.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 14, 2010