Daughter In College Help with Empty Nest syndrome

My daughter is a freshman in college and does not presently live at home. I miss her. How can I cope with Empty Nest Syndrome?

tassy471

Asked by tassy471 at 1:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• Now is the time re-focus on you. Discover new hobbies, take a class, sit down and ponder things you would like to accomplish. My mom started a beuty business and advanced her degree online. It made me even more proud of her!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I am scared witless about this...my first born will be a Sr next year and I am just sick at the thought of her leaving...I feel for you and will be reading the answers right along with you.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I FEEL YOUR EMPTYNESS, I HAVE BEEN THERE AND STILL AM. MY MIDDLE DAUGHTER LEFT FOR SCHOOL AT 17 AND IT WAS ONE OF THE HARDEST THINGS I HAVE EVER DONE, I THOUGHT IT WOULD GET EASIER AFTER DOING IT THE FIRST TIME BUT WHEN MY SON LEFT AT 17 ALSO, I LOST IT AGAIN. I MISS MY SON SO MUCH, I TALK TO HIM DAILY JUST TO HEAR HIS VOICE, MOST OF THE TIME I DON'T HAVE MUCH TO SAY BUT JUST HEARING HIS VOICE SOOTHES ME. MY DAUGHTER GRADUATED AND CAME BACK HOME, FOR A WHILE ANYWAY, UNTIL SHE MOVES ALONG WITH HER LIFE.

YOU KNOW DOCTORS AND PEOPLE IN GENERAL GIVE US ADVICE WHEN THEY ARE YOUNG ETC, BUT NOBODY EVER PREPARES US TO LET THEM GO, HOW DO YOU STOP NURTURING WHEN YOU HAVE DONE IT ALL THEIR LIVES??ALL I CAN TELL YOU IS THAT MAKE THIS YOUR TIME, NURTURE YOURSELF FOR A CHANGE, DO THE THINGS YOU WERE HOLDING BACK BECAUSE YOU HAD CHILDREN. I JOINED A GYM, AND FOCUS ON MYSELF A LOT MORE, YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Answer by older at 2:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I agree with all the others except I personally think you should give yourself a good cry. You deserve it. You have done everything and then some, and it just doesn't seem right that they aren't here at home anymore.Boo hooing my eyes out helped alot. If you don't work, find a part time job, if you do work,find something else to occupy you. go walking, walk around naked if you want.If you have a husband/SO/boyfriend, whatever,start dating again.But always tell your children that you miss them when you talk to them, it helps.There are no rules on how to handle this, you just do. Both of my children are gone now, the first 5 years ago, and my youngest in August. I get so excited when she gets ready to come home. My NOISE is coming home! I get to see my oldest in June, and its been soooooooooo long since I have seen her, and I am worse than a kid waiting for Santa!
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• What would you tell your daughter to do if she called you saying she was alone and didn't know how to deal with being alone now that she's not with you all the time? THAT is what you should do, whatever advice you give her.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• There are all kinds of places who need volunteers. You can take up a new hobby. Learn to do something you always wanted to learn but never had the time. Visit nursing homes and retirement homes and cheer up someone else who is lonely. Redecorate your home. Learn to sew. Plan a trip.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:30 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• My daughter is a senior and will be going off to college in the summer. I am worried about her taking care of herself, or crying because she misses us, all these things go through your mind. I don't even want to think about it. The only thing that makes me happy is that she will only be 4 hours away. I can go see her on short notice. I am worried I won't be able to stop thinking of her. I think I will have lost my best friend, unfortunately there is nothing that can prepare us for there departure. I can only hope she does not move to another state when she gets married. I will give you advice that I hope I can follow myself, STAY BUSY!!!
    pepperannrocks

Answer by pepperannrocks at 6:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Maybe you could help some little ones in foster care. Give them a good loving home to stay in while they are in foster care. Good luck.

Love,
    Michelle
    hopingforanange

Answer by hopingforanange at 2:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2009