• In the Spotlight:

How much juice a day are you supposed to give a 21 month old??

Okay, the people at WIC tell me no more than 4oz a day. My son's doctor told me that he can have up to 8oz a day. Who should I listen to? What have dr.'s told you? I am so confused, and I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing!!
**I dillute my son's juice with water and I have been giving him 2 sippy cups a day of dilluted juice -he never has more than 2 cups (16oz. of milk a day-usually one in the morning and one and night) and if he is thirsty after all of that he is allowed water.

CarieP

Asked by CarieP at 1:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 1-2 cups of half juice/half water. Listen to the doctor over WIC any day, the doctor knows your son and what he needs, and he's had training, he's not just telling you what it says in some pamphlet.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• They don't even need it. I give it as a treat and I use four oz. of water with four oz. of juice.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• well the doc never told me anything about how much they should have. and i dont listen to wic cuz in my opinion they dont know as much as they think they do. bailey is fifteen months and she lets me know when she wants something to drink. and i let her have it. i usually will only fill her sippy up halfway so i really dont know how much she really drinks as far as ounces. sorry
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Everyones opinion differs on this ...imo kids do not need juice at all. As long as they are eating fresh fruit why even bother with it? My daughter who is 18 months had problems with constipation and the only way I can get her to drink water is if I put a one oz of juice in eight oz of water....However giving your son juice is not going to kill him either! You're doing the right thing! xoxo
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 1:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I think the dr. may have said what he said because lately my son hasn't been eating veggies (a little phase I think??) and I told him that I have been giving him the V8*VFusion juice because it has a full serving of fruits and veggies in it. So maybe that is why he recommended more?

CarieP

Answer by CarieP at 2:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Less than 4 ounces. They don't need juice. My son mostly gets breastmilk and water. He's 23 months.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2009