Amway: company or cult?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amway

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Amway/

http://www.cocs.com/jhoagland/index.html

http://www.apollowebworks.com/amway/

above info is for those who have not yet been harassed by these people. It's a company/cult that is called a "multi-level" business, which is a nice way of saying a ponzi or pyramid scheme. I'm in the middle of being hounded by a "friend" about this who has been convinced by them that school is for suckers and short term thinkers! They take your money and teach you how to guilt and harass your friends into giving you their money. Any one else know one of these sheep, oh excuse me, I mean people? or are you one who wants to defend yourself? Please, enlighten me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• They stalked my sister for YEARS. She finally took out a restraining order against one guy after she found him sitting on her front porch when she got home from work...everyday for a week!
    Anonymous

• Amway is a "cult" but you are incorrect in stating that MLMs are pyramid schemes, not ALL of them are. A lot of them are legit business.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I hate all of those type of companies, my aunt used to do amway when I was younger and she would always hound my mom. My friend is into Market America it's a pyramid scheme also, and she hounds me all the time too. LOL they are the new thing so watch out for them.
    Anonymous

• Posting Anon to keep rabid family off my butt. As bad as Amway is I know of a worse one. Pre_paid Legal...talk about blood hound, stalking creeps.
    Anonymous

• especially with this economy as an excuse!!! i know a couple who are. they are losing friends because of it and in the process are coming across as total idiots (and the constant updates on myspace and facebook is really making me and everyone else sick). she totally believes the education is for suckers thing!!! it's really sad, but it's their own problem and they're wasting their own money and missing out on their own educations. oh well. i just really hope for their daughter's sake they don't try to tell her that finishing high school is not a priority.
    Anonymous

• ditto on the anonymous posting thing. the chick I know who does this stuff and totally believes they are retiring by 35 (so much that she doesn't work), is on here and though i don't mind saying that her "very own company" is a total crock of shit to her face, i just don't need the harassment! i've already seen her harass the people she's trying to get in on "her company", so i can't even imagine what an unhappy harassment would be like! ugh. such a sheep. baaaaaaaaa
    Anonymous

• I avoid most people who are involved with Amway or are involved in MLM schemes. They are annoying and are typically people who are always looking for a get rich quick plan. My husband and I invite them in and listen to their whole program. We then show them the 20 hours a week my husband works since he is semi retired and what he makes they usually leave and never bother us again. We tell them we will show them how we did this.lol

Anonymous

• We are in it. We are not annoying friends that bother you. We dont hide that we are in it, but we dont actively build either. They have a lot of great teachings that the world could really use. I have read a lot of books that I would have never been introduced to had it not been for this business. They are all about teaching positivity. But, just like everything, you have your good people and your bad people. I know a lot of mormons that I like, but I dont like the ones that come to my door trying to sell their religion to me. I think amway has some GREAT products and some great ways of looking at life. You cannot judge the many off the few bad apples
    tigrangl

Answer by tigrangl at 1:32 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Oh, and Amway is NOT a pyramid scheme. You should really look up the definition. A pyramid is where you give me money, and then go ask your friends for money. This is a business. A legitimate business. Pyramids and ponzi schemes are illegal. You get nothing for your money except scammed. A ponzi scheme is what that wall street guy did... what was his name.. maddox.. or something liket hat. In amway you get something for your money. Amway is JUST like mary kay, avon and party light candles. Its a business you can do from home.
    tigrangl

Answer by tigrangl at 1:37 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• total scheme no matter what you compare it to. mary kay and tupperware parties and all that? same thing just with a legal loophole
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Feb. 7, 2009