Mucous plug? maybe..

Okay when I pee it kinda has a smell, like vinegar. And the discharge in my underwear has the same smell... It's not mucousy though, it's just like any pregnant woman discharge, and there's a lot.
Could this be my mucous plug slowly coming out over time? I'll be 36 weeks in a few days.

Help.

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 1:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well mucus plugs are usually kind of ummm thick and slimey kinda like snot. hence the name mucus with a bit of bloody show. i know i know tmi but you asked
    Anonymous

• When my plug came out with my first, it was in pieces, in...chunks of mucus, for lack of a better description. It was solid enough that it made plopping sounds when it dropped in the toilet. I probably wouldn't expect your plug to come out for another couple of weeks, unless you've had a vaginal exam in the past day or two which might hurry it along a little. But I think it's generally more solid than what you're describing.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• It's not TMI. My lamaze instructor said that it can come out over a period of time, and not be thick and slimy.. She also said the bloody show could come after the mucous plug passed, it doesn't have to be the same time. That's why I was curious.
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 1:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I actually had a vaginal exam Friday. It was kind of like a pap smear, but it was something different.
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 1:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• well that could be the reason for the discharge due to the exam.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:47 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I had something similar happen with my daughter - I actually had a high tear in my water sack and was leaking amniotic fluid slowly. They can do a quick test of the fluid to make sure that is not the case. My leak went for a week before it was diagnosed and I actually went into labor.
    I was fortunate - the tear was high enough that it only seemed to leak much in certain positions - I kept feeling like I wet myself a little, but I knew I hadn't. I was able to replenish the fluid fast enough not to put her in too much danger. The main danger is infection. I would tell the dr. and have the fluid checked. I was at 37 weeks when this happened.
    riometz

Answer by riometz at 2:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2009