??????????

Okay so I don't really know where to start...

My Labrador had surgery to remove a cyst on her head today. She ended up having 13 staples put in it. When we picked her up at the vet about 3 hours ago..she was trying to rub her head on things and I asked the lady if she would be doing that and she said yeah. Well here at home its impossible to keep her from rubbing her head on the couch and chair or just pawing at it. I mean the only way we can make her stop is yelling at her and I hate doing that more than anything so for the past hour I've been holding her head so she doesn't move it. what can I do to help her? Is it normal for her to be doing this?

Also I'm really worried that they didn't put enough stapes in her head because my husband, mother-in-law and me all think she could use another one.

Well, some time of her rubbing it.. she's caused bleeding in between a couple stapes. I wish I could post a pic to see what you all think I just dont know how.

d.wooldridge

Asked by d.wooldridge at 6:02 PM on Aug. 9, 2012 in Pets

• Make the cone. It's just a circle with the center cut out. Do you have a poster board and duct tape?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:48 PM on Aug. 9, 2012

• Is she wearing the cone of shame on her neck?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:06 PM on Aug. 9, 2012

• Nope, And there isn't any place near me to buy one. The vets closed now so I'll have to wait until at least tomorrow.

I also wanted to ask what I should do about the bleeding its not bad, just scary!
    d.wooldridge

Comment by d.wooldridge (original poster) at 6:10 PM on Aug. 9, 2012

• Obviously first choice is an E-Collar, but you say not one is near you. I would suggest driving to one just to get one. I can't believe the vet didn't give/sell you guys one. That would be enough for me to switch vets.

Otherwise, try putting bandages on the area that is stapled and wrap her head. You will probably have to do this several times before you can get her back to the vet tomorrow, but you need to do anything possible to get her to stop or she can make things much worse.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 6:22 PM on Aug. 9, 2012

• Well actually the nearest pet store is at least an hour away so I'm gonna try something else first.
    I didn't think it would be a problem so I didn't ask for a collar, however I'm no expert so they really should have mentioned something about it. She's had surgery before and didn't do this.

Thank you about the bandage idea, I was wondering if it would be alright to do that.

I do feel bad that I didn't think to ask for a collar, and I plan to sit up with her tonight to make sure everything's alright.
    d.wooldridge

Comment by d.wooldridge (original poster) at 6:29 PM on Aug. 9, 2012

• Maybe try to wrap it like you would for a person? And then call the vet the very first thing in the morning. Did the vet give the dog any kind of pain medication?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:39 PM on Aug. 9, 2012

• Nope only antibiotics. I plan to call in the morning as soon as they open, well actually i plan to go there and show them what I'm talking about.
    I tried to wrap it up but where its on her head thats not easy so, I don't know what to do at this point other than hold her and just try to watch her close until in the morning.
    d.wooldridge

Comment by d.wooldridge (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Aug. 9, 2012

• butterflybue thanks thats a good idea!
    d.wooldridge

Comment by d.wooldridge (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Aug. 9, 2012

• She needs an Ecollar and the vet was remiss in not giving you one or telling you to get one.
    Just keep it clean. it sounds as though youre going to have a sleepless night.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:01 AM on Aug. 11, 2012