CAT?

My DD is obsessed with cats! DH and I were thinking about getting her a cat for Christmas but what worries me is that shes only two years old. She does get along great with my parents animals. So the only thing really bothering me is her age. Is it a good idea or no?

Shortma197

Asked by Shortma197 at 8:59 PM on Aug. 9, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2012

• I personally wouldnt. I got my 2 and 4 yr old a cat and they were nothing but mean to him. I found him him a better home after 4 months of trying
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:00 PM on Aug. 9, 2012

• Wait until she is older. You don't want her playing with a cat only to have the cat turn around and scratch the hell out of her because she doesn't know how to play gently.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:17 PM on Aug. 9, 2012

• I'd definitely say no. I'd wait until she was at least 4.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:18 PM on Aug. 9, 2012

• I don't know. I guess since we had our cats before our children were born, they've had them since birth and have done fine with them.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:21 PM on Aug. 9, 2012

• I would say no on a cat, unless you get an older cat that has lived in a house with very small children before. We made the mistake of getting a cat with a young one, and we ended up bringing her back because after the fifth or sixth time of attacking the baby our dog attacked the kitten.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:11 PM on Aug. 9, 2012

• I would suggest a family dog if you are wanting a pet for her. Our lab was awesome with our babies, plus they can handle the rough housing that toddlers tend to do. We had her before I got pregnant, and from the day our daughter was born she turned into a second mother. She was our daughter's snuggle partner, and play partner. She didn't mind if DD pulled a little too hard on her fur, didn't care if DD took her toy, and honestly she would get pissed at us if we let DD cry for longer than 1 minute.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:14 PM on Aug. 9, 2012

• No, a pet is not a toy it's a responsibility.

Answer by missanc at 12:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2012