Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting Custody?

I wanna move out of state with my son but i want to first go threw the court. My sons father assault me a few weeks ago and i am pressing charges. But i really wanna move to another state because i think it would be a better envirmonment not only for me but for my son. I have a church family down there and i wanna open my business within a few months of being there. What do the courts usually look at when moving and how longs does it usually take? ( his father does not want me to move out of state with his son so i no he is going to try to fight for custody) The father has not been working for the past 2 monthsand he is leaving with a friend. I got a protective order againt him but it is not in affect because they can not locate him. I just need some information about getting custody of my son and moving out of state.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (1)
  • You will have to go through the courts and be able to show the court that you have been his primary caregiver, that you have a place to live, a job and having as much info on the schools he will go to and any other support system you will have should be brought into the hearing. The judge will then decided if its in the best interest of the child to move with your or not. If they decide to allow it then theyll spell out visits etc. Since he assaulted you my advice is to contact the dom violence shelter and see if there arent any advocates to with you.

    Answer by gemgem at 1:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.