Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting Custody?

I wanna move out of state with my son but i want to first go threw the court. My sons father assault me a few weeks ago and i am pressing charges. But i really wanna move to another state because i think it would be a better envirmonment not only for me but for my son. I have a church family down there and i wanna open my business within a few months of being there. What do the courts usually look at when moving and how longs does it usually take? ( his father does not want me to move out of state with his son so i no he is going to try to fight for custody) The father has not been working for the past 2 monthsand he is leaving with a friend. I got a protective order againt him but it is not in affect because they can not locate him. I just need some information about getting custody of my son and moving out of state.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (5)
  • I am not sure about that one just ask an attorney. I assume you will need one to be able to move with your son.

    Answer by jem102675 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

  • If you don't have a custody agreement then you can leave w/o telling him. If they can't locate him for the PO then they won't be able to locate him for the custody hearing either. NTM, if he doesn't have a job or a house then he has no grounds to fight you anyways.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 1:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

  • I'm sure the custody battle for your child will be based on what state your from. And you need to get a lawyer a.s.a.p..-. Its not fair to the child to remove him from his fathers life (into another state). If the father has aggression issues, you should suggest parenting classes and anger management classes, before he could be around the kid again.

    Answer by BooHooMommy at 1:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

  • Have your buisness plan on hand, show that you have positive family/church members ready & willing to help you out with baby sitting, ect. Show that you already have an apartment, and all of that nessesary stuff. Have a lawyer, I know it is expensive but some will work on payments. Just check around. As for the father, have the info at hand, no job, no apartment/house, and the police paperwork where he was hitting you or whatever. All of that in hand how could the judge possibly refuse to let you better your childs life somewhere else. Good Luck!

    Answer by lovinmomto3 at 2:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

  • I know in Ohio you need to notify the court, but there is nothing they can do to stop you from improving your life or that of your child such as taking a better job etc. There are legalities however so just make sure you do it by the book. Call your family court and they can tell you what you need to do.

    Answer by salexander at 12:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.