How far would you go to support you child

if your childs coach told you that your child had the potential to go very far in their sport?

just a bit of back ground my second oldest dd learned to ice skate through a learn to skat program a few years back and wansnt super thrilled about it

Well about 18m ago she decided that she wanted to learn more about figure skating and she joined the local Figure Skating Club. She did her first compititon less then a year ago and has excelled fast.

Her coach asked her what her goals are with figure skating is it just a fun sport or is it somthing that she wants to presue at a national and international competive Level?

According to my DD she wants to go as far as she can but I have some strong reservations. First Figure Skating can be very expensive and I dont know if I can afford it. Second I worry about the body immage issues that can be associated

What would you do if it was your DD

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Id support her 100% and do everything I could make make her dream come true, while also parenting her and guiding her from bad situations that could come her way.

Answer by gemgem at 1:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I would find out all the facts that I can. If You think DD is serious, could you get sponsors to help with the cost? Talk with coach and see what can be done. I would def. support her but let her know that financially you may only beable to do so much. Be upfront with her from the start.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 1:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I would support her all the way! We asked our families (Grandparents) to split the cost of what ever it was our child went into for a Christmas or Birthday gift. We all split it 3 ways. Not sure if that is for you.
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 2:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Watch the movie "Stick It" with Jeff Bridges. It's about gymnastics but this coach tells the parents of every girl that their daughter is special just to get them to keep forking out the dough!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 2:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• 100% All they way... i would do whatever it took to support my daughter or son inwhatever they wanted to do! ALL THE WAY!
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 3:04 PM on Feb. 4, 2009