Report card question

Are there a lot of schools who don't use ABCDF but use x's by 1.Has difficulty demonstrating, 2.Making progress 3. Consistently demonstrates

cat4458

Asked by cat4458 at 2:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Our school system is slowing going towards that way of grading. In a way it seems like a cop out. Just another way for us to make our children "feel good" without putting forth an effort. In another way it helps students who actually try but just don't get it.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Here they do that for 1-5 grades Kinder is R, D, M, E. . Starting in middle school (6th) they begion using letter grades but we have no 'D' A, B. C, F. Anything under 70 is failing
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I'm not sure I understand what you are asking?
    In my school district there are numbers, 1- far below grade level
    2- below grade level
    3- at grade level
    4- above grade level
    these grades are for K-6 7-12 get letter grades.
    Alot of parents and teachers don't like these grades, beacuse the 3 level is such a broad range. 70%-95%, so alot of kids who consistently get 3 in elementary school will get C's in middle and high school. But these are the district standards and they have to be followed. I think they originally started it b/c the wanted the labeling of A or C students to go away. But it still happens. b/c they are separated by their reading groups and weather they are called the red group, the circle group or whatever, kids know who the smart ones are still tease the not so advanced ones.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 2:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I think there should be report cards for teachers as well. (*yes I am one so I can say that) So many kids get bad grades bc the teacher doesn't teach well so the student suffers bc of the inadequacies of the teacher. I make my grandkids make a report card for their teacher. So far we've been able to find out some problems that way and fix them. It's great for Parent Teacher Conference! LOL Teachers have to be held accountable too.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Sometimes those things can be so confusing! As parents we can't really figure out where our kids actually stand. I have mixed feelings about grades and the whole cop-out thing is an issue, but then again so it true that some kids will never be the straight A students and if they do work really hard they should be commended even for all "average grades". Our school has something like that for the very early grades and then moves to the A's B's etc for the older kids. I do find the regular grades easier to comprehend myself! In the early grades I relied more on the teacher's comments to see what the issues were.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:31 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• At our school district the numbers 1,2 and 3 are for k-2 from 3rd grade they use A,B,C,D and F.
    4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 6:02 PM on Feb. 7, 2009