Howw can I get my 14 month old to sleep thru the night?

He wakes up 3-6 times a night, and has a warm sippy of milk. I am 33 weeks preggo and exhausted, can someone help? PLEASE.

tattooedmomma23

Asked by tattooedmomma23 at 2:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• shoulda started earlier. (im assuming he's in his own room, i suggest with the door closed, and if he know how to open it, have a lock on it. unless he's in the crib) dont' go in there when he wakes up the first time. just let him cry. being pregnant, that shouldn't be a problem just laying in bed listening to him. if he's not asleep in 20 minutes, either you get up and hold him for a few minutes, and then lay him back down, or you roll over, hit your DH/SO and tell him to do it. he may cry after you lay him back down again but let him cry for another 20 minutes. keep doing this until he sleeps throught the night.
    Anonymous

• nice... like that was necessary?! "shoulda started earlier" what is that supposed to mean... I agree with the rest of the post... but who's to say your boy hasn't been sleeping through the night and now just started this again.. I hear about kids doing that all the time!

Good luck lady, get your sleep! Are you napping during the day when he is? YOU SHOULD!~
    mamastevens

Answer by mamastevens at 2:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Does he drink the milk all night long? Your baby is now at the age where food/milk is not necesary in the middle of the night. It sounds like he now has a habit and that is the only way he knows how to get back to sleep. This happened for me at 5-6 months old with my son. I would nurse him back to sleep because it was easier. Well, one night of doing what the first person said worked for us and he has slept through since.

My first recommendation is to stop giving the milk at night (also bad for his teeth). If you need to do this slowly, give a sippy of water. he likely won't want it and will stop waking for it over a little bit of time.

good luck!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Stop giving him milk gradually and let him cry it out. He will be ok he is big enough now to sleep through the night with no milk. After about a week he should realize he's not gonna get milk and just go back to sleep. As long as you cater to him at night he is always going to expect it. Hope this helps.
    cdogdevon

Answer by cdogdevon at 2:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Oh and as for the 1st response if you try the 20 minute method don't pick him up. I suggest you go in there gently lay him down and rub his back for a few minutes to comfort and walk out. If you pick him up it is going to frustrate him more when you put him back down.
    cdogdevon

Answer by cdogdevon at 2:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2009