What would you do if your 8 yo constantly forgets school work?

I have a 8 yo son who constantly either forgets to bring home the materials he needs to complete his HW assignment, or he completes the HW and leaves the completed assignments sitting for days inside his HW folder instead of turning them in? I have tried talking with the teacher, they gave him detention and I feel I've tried but don't know what else to do! Any suggestions?

mommamiafive

Asked by mommamiafive at 2:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Set up a positive incentive program at home with your child. Everyday he brings home his materials, he gets a star on a chart....he is working toward ten stars or checks in order to earn a prize. This prize should be attainable and something the child will work for. Atttainable in the sense that ten times may be too many if he never brings his items home... And...maybe the teacher can set your child up with a peer buddy to help him [ack his belongings ...or/and give your child a list of the things that need to be brought home and secure it to his bookbag as a daily reminder
    sarah4303

Answer by sarah4303 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Try asking his pediatrician see what they can suggest. GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Get him a planner and make him fill it out daily. List all homework assignments and check it and make suer he has everything before he goes to home. Before he goes to bed each night make sure everything is in his backpack and ready to go. Ask his teacher if she will be willing to sign it at the end of each day and you should sign it daily too. My son is also 8 and his whole class does this.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 2:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I like 4monkees idea. This will be a nice habit to form now through college through his working days. No matter how much work it is now, he'll appreciate that you put the effort into helping him be organized later on.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Have his teacher check to make sure he makes a list of his assignment & when they are due & that has the materials when he leaves school. Once he's home, go through the list with him & double-check that he has everything he needs.

Seperate out his assignments in stacks in the order in which he'd like to work on them.

Have him work on his assignments in a common area of the home --- dining room table, for example -- where you can keep an eye on him. Make sure he's working on homework instead of playing space invastion with his pencils & erasers.

As he finishes each assignment, check over it immediately to make sure it's complete, mark it off the list, & put it back in his backpack. You don't have to check it for mistakes or things he might need help on right at that moment (as I'm sure you're busy with other things that time of day), but just make sure he's done the work & it's back in the backpack.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My DD told me & her dad that she had turned in a missing assignment 3x and the teacher lost it. So she did the assignment 3 times in row and turned in the final one.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:20 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• William has a check list in his desk of things he needs to bring home every night. He has a binder with different pockets for different types of papers, and he has an organizer to write down his homework assignments. My son's teacher checks his planner to make sure he wrote everything down. He needs to learn to be organized. We had the Instructional Support Teacher work with him and his teacher last year and it helped alot.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 7:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2009