10 Year Old Bed Wetting

My 10 year old step son has some problems with bed wetting. He is currently on medication for it, but it doesn't seem to help. We cut out drinks a few hours before bedtime, he's not allowed pop or anything sugary after dinner, etc. to no avail.

We've started making him wear pull-ups to bed, which definitely cuts down on the laundry, BUT, he always throws his peed-filled diapers under the bed. We've made him clean them up again and again, and he STILL does it. Nothing we say or do seems to make him remember to clean them up.

I'm getting so frustrated because every time I go in the boys' room, it stinks to high heaven and I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out how I can get it through to him to pick up his diapers. Advice?

ABeaverhausen

Asked by ABeaverhausen at 10:53 AM on Aug. 10, 2012 in Tweens (9-12)

• I just read an article on bed wetting. They found that most bed wetting is caused by constipation. The bowels are full so there is less room for urine so they spontaneously go while they are sleeping. Does your son have a problem with constipation? If so, they said to try Miralax for two months & that may solve the problem. Add lots of fiber to his diet as well.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:02 AM on Aug. 10, 2012

• Ugh- 11 yo wouldn't put her laundry to be washed either.

She said it's because it's embarrassing that she still does it.

We reinforced the, "Don't give a damn if you have accidents, just don't like your room smelling like a toilet" thing intermittently for about two months and she finally got over herself.

Another CM momma told me about the embarrassment.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:08 AM on Aug. 10, 2012

• Add cranberry juice to his diet.
    Get an alarm and wake him every four hours. You have to physically get him up to go to the bathroom.
    Some people sleep so soundly they can not respond to the messages of their body. You would be training him to "surface"
    This helped my nephew. Embarrassing does nothing but make them feel horrible for something they do not have the tools to control.
    If the medicine isn't helping, tell the Dr. They are different ones the work for different people.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:48 AM on Aug. 10, 2012

• Actually, constipation might actually be an issue. I'm not sure of his bathroom habits really, but he absolutely HATES fruits and vegetables and won't eat anything besides mac & cheese, fake mashed potatoes, chicken nuggets, etc. Obviously, not the most healthy foods, (and that's a whole other issue that's making me tear my hear out. lol). I'll get some miralax & start adding it to his drinks. Good idea!
    ABeaverhausen

Comment by ABeaverhausen (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Aug. 10, 2012

• We don't call them diapers at our house, they are called 'night pants'. He puts a pair of night pants on every night. He isn't embarrased about them.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:02 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• Throwing them under the bed sounds like embarrassment to me, like trying to hide from the fact he has this problem. Does he have a separate garbage can in his room where he can throw them away in private?
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:14 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• I think the feelings get complicated, and the behavior reflects not so much caring what others think or trying to hide the evidence so others won't see or know (of course, some of that too) but basic denial....hiding FROM the reality itself, pushing it away and out of consciousness, not wanting to face it. I imagine those are some strong feelings of aversion (and that is shame-based.) My goal would be to be sensitive to this reality.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:44 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• what my doctor suggested for both my boys was to stop all liquids 2 hours before bedtime and also if you wake up in the night to go to the bathroom have them get up(even if they aren't fully awake) and go in and go also. It has helped with my boys. Just a suggestion as to all children are different and if you haven't already and are concerned talk to his doctor. My boys are heavy sleepers and sometimes didn't know they had to go until it was too late. Good luck
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:48 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• he wears the pull ups every night, right? So I would wake him up in the morning and tell him to go to the bathroom to urinate and remove and dispose of the pull up. Make that his morning habit. It shouldn't take him long, so I would wait outside the door and make sure it was done before he comes out of the bathroom.
    zetajen

Answer by zetajen at 1:41 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• I wet the bed until I was 11. I had/have a condition called spina biffida occulta. It cant be diagnosed other than by an x-ray. He might have that
    Hopeful44

Answer by Hopeful44 at 3:40 PM on Aug. 10, 2012