When can kids use toothpaste with fluoride?

My son is 3 1/2. I asked the pediatrician when he can use regular toothpaste, and she said it would be safe to go ahead and use a pea size even if he swallows it. Sure enough, we've tried three times now, and he can't seem to understand how to spit it out, so he swallows it every time. I'm just worried that this is not good for him. Our water has fluoride in it. Should I wait until he's another year older and give it a try again?

flowrchild77

Asked by flowrchild77 at 2:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would wait and practice spitting out non-fluoride toothpaste in the mean time.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 2:30 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I agree with the previous post not to switch to fluoride toothpaste until he knows how to spit it out.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I never used any other kind of toothpaste as a child or with my kids. As long as he isn't eating half the tube, it's ok.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Yep, have spitting practice in the bathtub. Give him a little cup and teach him how to swish water around in his mouth, not swallow it, and spit it out. All three things are needed.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• We are using training toothpaste until he learns how to spit.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Yep...no regular until they can spit.

We taught our oldest by modeling. The three year old is starting to get it now...but he's still about 50/50.

One thing. We did give him (our 4 year old) the choice to try "adult" toothpaste and he wanted to. He hated the taste. He said it was "hot". Just something to keep in mind.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• MY DAUGHTER STARTED A LITTLE BIT BEFORE SHE WAS 2. BUT I MADE SURE THAT SHE KNEW HOW TO SPIT IT OUT AND THAT SWALLOWING WAS NOT ALLOWED. I HAVE NEVER REALLY LIKED NON FLOURIDE TOOTHPASTE BECAUSE I NEVER FEEL LIKE ITS DOING ITS JOB AND THAT IT IS JUST SITTING ON THERE TEETH AFTERWARD. IM SURE YOU MONITOR YOUR CHILDS BRUSHING SO I WOULD SAY DEFINITLY GO AHEAD AND GIVE IT A WHIRL!!
    boogirlsmommy

Answer by boogirlsmommy at 7:24 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Not until they can spit but you can teach them with regular toothpaste. You only use a pea size amount anyway and if they swallow some or  all they will be fine.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• fluoride does not stop tooth decay but causes teeth to crumble and rot.it is called dental flurosis.moms really have to start questioning fluoride for their children.you can get more information paul connett fan network or daniel stockin who lost his job for speaking out against fluoride.fluoride in water-and baby formula dont mix.you should never mix baby formula with fluoridated water.i could go on and on but please take a minute of your time and check fluoride out.also check out fluoride and your health.kidney foundation has dropped support for fluoride.please educate yourself about harm from fluoride.a concerned grandmother.
    marypoole837

Answer by marypoole837 at 3:56 PM on May. 27, 2009