Does anyone give their dog .....

Carprofen or Rimadyl for arthritis? Or glucosamine for stiff hips? I am wondering how well it works. It's costly & I know it can cause digestive issues. Right now ours get an aspirin twice a day but the vet suggested switching to the other meds. The price online is not much different than what I can get from the vet. Not sure what our next step is.  :(

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 1:57 PM on Aug. 10, 2012 in Pets

• I give all of my dogs glucosamine (started them on it when they were about 10), but I buy the biggest bottle for equines (horses) from Jeffer's. Glucoasamine is glucosamine, regardless of what animal picture (dog, horse, human) is on the label. You can buy the pills or a liquid, and the cost runs between 10 cents and 17 cents a day/dog.

I avoid the nsaids and/or steroids except for getting something under control ~ they cause too much stomach, liver, and other organ damage when used for more than a few weeks imo.

I do massage, hot soaks, etc. rather than those drugs (same as for myself), but i will use pain meds if/when needed.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:06 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• I also learned deep tissue massage for Mario.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:55 AM on Aug. 11, 2012

• Glucosemine for an older dog who has since passed on. It eased his joints a lot.
    Ask your vet though before doing anything.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:52 AM on Aug. 11, 2012

• We gave one of our dogs Rimadyl for several years. We ordered them from 1800 petmeds.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:05 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• I give mine fish oil,vit-A oil vit-E oil and phlax seed.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 7:17 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• I have used the Rimadyl in the past. I also gave Glucosamine in pill form or the shot version called adequan. Adequan can be expensive but if you can buy a bottle from your vet and give it yourself it is a little more affordable. When I have used the Rimadyl I only gave it on an as needed basis in the beginning and that kept the cost down a bit not having to fill it as often. When things got bad with my Golden she had to take it everyday towards the end but sometimes the benefits out way the negatives. There also were not as many choices when I had her.

Look at Vetcentric. This place is more reputable then places like petmedsexpress or the others. It was started by vets and they do their best to be cheaper then the other places. They can't always be but generally are. 

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:27 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• I don't give my dogs those meds, but I have noticed that Drs. Foster & Smith are cheaper than 1800petmeds when it comes to heartworm preventatives...maybe check them out.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 6:13 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• ^^^ goofygal: yes that was 1 of the many websites I looked on & their prices aren't much better than what the vet was offering. :/ It sucks b/c my dogs are almost 13 & 14 & while I want them to be comfortable, we just found out the almost 13 y/o has cancer & the almost 14 y/o has a heart murmur. It's like how much $$ do they want us to spend on our aging dogs? :(

mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• Have you looked into 1800PETMEDS? I heard they have things that are cheaper. I will probably need to start buying some for my dog... I can tell he's having a harder time getting around.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 10, 2012