Sensitive Skin?

Does anybody have any suggestions about what to use (detergents, soaps/lotions, etc.) for a 2 year old girl with sensitive skin? Or maybe at least what not to use/what to stay away from?

rltdancegurl

Asked by rltdancegurl at 2:28 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Avoid everything.

Detergents you could try changing to an eco brand or eco balls or soapnuts (if you want them to have some smell you can use different oils but this can also affect sensitive skin)>

I would avoid anything perfumed too and anything that has an irritant label on.

Washing with water is usually enough when bathing child.
    Anonymous

• Babies R Us sells detergent specifically for babies because of their sensative skin. You can try that and see if it works. Also, no matter what you use, rinse things at least once after the cycle has completed. If changing detergents doesnt work, it could be the dryer sheets if you used any. Try air drying the clothes and putting them in the dryer for 10 minutes just to fluff (without any drying sheets).
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• It all depends on what is causing the problem. I would have her checked for food allergies first. I do sell lotions that are fragrance & dye free, no mineral oil, and no isopropyl alcohol in them. Laundry detergents I use All Free & Clear or Tide. Ivory soap is one of the gentlest soaps. Basis is another good bar soap.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My son had sensitive skin and I had to use All Free and Clear detergent. When I could, I would line dry his clothes so that I didn't have to use fabric softener. Then I had to avoid anything that was scented, soaps, wipes, all that. When he was a baby, I had to wash all of mine and my husbands clothes like that as well because he would break out if we held him. Oh, I would also run the extra rinse on the washer, just to be sure to get all the soap out. And for baths, I would just use water, or a little Ivory soap. He actually is growing out of it thankfully!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I side with anonymous here. Less is your best bet. My daughter would get hives if I bleached her diapers!!! I could not use detergents at all for her first two years. I washed all her things in a SMALL amount of vingar in the wash. I hung her diapers outside on the line (doctor told me sunlight would be a better way to kill the bacteria even than bleach). When I did begin to reintroduce detergents, I stayed away from anything with scent. Except... I was able to use biokleen... it's scent and its disinfectant are citrus derived. (Some people are allergic to that, too... you never know!)
    hippiecrit

Answer by hippiecrit at 11:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2009