how do you potty train a boy to go potty

sprkle41279

Asked by sprkle41279 at 2:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The same way you teach a girl... teach him to sit down to pee. The only difference is teaching him to push down on his penis a little so it is pointed down into the potty. Don't teach him to pee standing up until he sees older boys standing up to pee and asks to do stand up too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My son turned 3 in September. I didn't feel he was ready then. I waited until I had a nice long weekend (New Years). I bought him a lot of cute undies for Christmas, so he was a little interested. Then on New Year's day, I just said, "Today you wear underwear and go pee pee on the potty! Yay! You get m&ms when you go! I put him on the potty every hour or so. At times he told me he had to go but it was always too late. Then the second day, he said he had to go before he went, yay, breakthrough! On the third day we actually left the house and he was fine, and he hasn't had an accident since!! I still use diapers at night. I think the trick is to go straight to underwear and never go back. I think it's confusing if you go back and forth. It worked for me with all 3 kids.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I tried with my son a few times. I think they just have to be ready. Last time I tried with my son he was 2 1/2 and wasn't interested at all! I put underwear on him and he would just pee all over the house every time! So I tried again about 3 weeks ago- he turned 3 two months ago. So far so good. He's wearing underwear when we're at home, pull ups while we're out (just in case) and diapers at night, just because I still have a half a case of them! The only thing I did differently this time was I just let him run around the house in a t-shirt for the first week. Nothing at all on the bottom. He was much more aware of the fact that he couldn't just pee in what he was wearing, because he wasn't wearing anything! He had a couple of accidents in the first day or two, but after that, he knew he needed to go sit on the potty if he had to pee.
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 4:23 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I don't agree with the wait till they're ready idea. Expect it from your child. He is capable of it, he is three.
    As for encouraging him to use the bathroom what I did was put drops of blue food coloring in the water-when he pees it will turn green. I put bubble solution in the water so when he peed it made bubbles. When they stand up, that's when they can aim at Cheerios to keep it in the toilet bowl. But those ideas may be juvenile since I used it for a much younger boy.
    kcjones78

Answer by kcjones78 at 9:47 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I have three boys...there is a rule of thumb I have always gone by because it worked for me. Train them when they are two it will take you a year..train them when they are three it will take you a week. I have always waited until they were three and I have never had a problems
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 5:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• salexander - I totally agree!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:06 AM on Apr. 1, 2009