multiple choice

I'll give you the scenerio w/ some options....later I'll post what I did. My family was all together at our house swimming. 6 kids and a handful of adults outside. The neighbor kid comes over to talk to my son (who was in the pool) some of the other kids dared child A to push the neighbor into the pool. He did....come to find out, the neighbor had his cell phone in his pocket. When this happened everyone laughed and thought it was funny UNTIL they found out about the phone. I was inside and didn't see any of it. Here are the choices....#1) neighbor pays for the phone, he shouldn't have had it in his pocket around the pool (he was in regular clothes) #2) The child that actually pushed him in is solely responsible #3) all the kids should split it since they were daring Child A to push him in and #4) Me because it is my house and I should have been more aware. I'll post later - just wanted some honest opinions

the3jsandme

Asked by the3jsandme at 2:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I say buy him a new phone and let your kids work off the money until they pay for it. And let them no that rough housing will not be tolerated by the pool.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I would ask the kids what they would think was fair and discuss it with them...it will get them thinking and you can see their opinions on it. I would hope they would all want to chip in.
    Anonymous

• I think the kid that pushed him in should pay for it. He should have known better than to push someone in a pool who was in their regular clothing. Even if it was a dare, which is not a good enough excuse.
    Anonymous

• i say the child that pushed him should be responsible. the other kid was l. in street clothes and 2 giving in to peer pressure is no excuse
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Well the kid who got pushed should have thrown the phone or yelled "NO MY PHONE IS IN MY POCKET" so I guess that would be choice #1
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Its your house. Your responsible for what takes place. # 4)Me because it is my house and I should have been more aware
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 2:42 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• #1) At the time the other kids did not know he had it(the cell phone) in his pocket.

Answer by louise2 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• There was a similar incident on Judge Judy a couple of weeks ago (can you tell I watch too much tv? LOL) anyway, JJ made the person who pushed the other person in pay for the phone. Maybe if everyone there could contribute to replacing the phone it wouldn't be so much on just one person?
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• The kid who pushed him in the pool is mostly responsible, the other kids should help with the cost as well. I don't necessarily remove my phone from my pocket when I am around a pool if I am wearing street clothes and not expecting to go in so I think A is ridiculous. I would probably pay for the phone and charge each of the children to reimburse me based on their level of involvement.

riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• How old are the kids involved? If the kid who got his phone ruined was uner 12 yrs old-then he should pay for-he doesnt need one anyway. If he is older than that and so are all the other kids, they should have to either split and pay or work there butts off at your house in exchange for you paying for it!
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 2:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2009