When is the best time to stop taking birth control pills when TTC?

Hello:) My SO and I have been talking about TTC for a while now, and finally made the formal decision. I can't get into my doctor for 2 weeks, so I'm hoping someone can placate my burning curiosity in the meantime:). Is it best to finish out a pack of pills and just not start taking them after your period, or is it fine to stop in the middle of the pack? I took 3 days of my pack and stopped taking them yesterday. Is it best to just take this pack and wait til next month, or does it even make a difference when you stop taking them?

classylawgirl

Asked by classylawgirl at 2:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I stopped my bc in July 2008, however I can't remember if I finished the pack or not. I think I had about a week of pills left and I just stopped taking them. My husband and I have been ttc since then and no luck yet. I don't think it is going to make a difference if you finish taking them or not. Just my opinion. Good luck.
    AsaGarrett

Answer by AsaGarrett at 2:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I stopped my birth control in December of 2007!!! I finished out the pack and went from there......we still have not conceived-number 1 was easy-we didnt have to try for her but this pregnancy will be a little harder because my cycles still havent regulated. If I were you I would stop ASAP (finish a pack though) and go from there.
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 2:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My doc said to finish the pack and then just be done. It will keep your cycle more regular.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I took birth control for 3 years. I stopped taking them in September 08, I didn't finish the pack, I don't remember how much of the pack was left though and I just found out on Monday that I'm pregnant! So give your body time to regulate itself without pills!
    Deidra08

Answer by Deidra08 at 4:04 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Thanks everyone for your input! I think since I just started taking this pack Sunday, and it's only Wednesday, I'll just stop taking them. If I was on week 3 or something, then it would make sense to finish the pack. I just didn't want to get yelled at by my doctor if I'm violating some commonly known rule or something. This is all new to me!:) Looking forward to chatting with everyone and sharing experiences:)
    classylawgirl

Answer by classylawgirl at 4:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2009