Does your child like to destroy things around the house?

My son has already broke a shelf in the fridge, and now he broke the blinds today like literally they will not hang back up, I don't know what to do. I gave him timeout & that just don't seem to work.

KaydensMom166

Asked by KaydensMom166 at 5:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Duct tape- for the blinds & the kid! lol :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:23 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• Lol i tried the duct tape for the blinds, and it would not work):
    KaydensMom166

Comment by KaydensMom166 (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• Yup- they have even tried to burn down my home.
    What discipline techniques are you using?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• I would have killed her if she tried any of that CRAP!!!! She and her cousin broke a badger basket crib that I got for their babies. They stood in it and broke. My SO fixed it the best he could and I made the girls go with me to give it away. Par of their punishment was to tell the gentleman that took their donation why they had to give it away.

You have to try and find punishments that fit the crime.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:47 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• yup- kids are destuctive...and it goes on for awhile too- like years

all you can do is make and enforce the rules you can- and realise that stuff IS eventually going to get destroyed- probably many things both connected to the house and personal stuff too unfortunately : /
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:03 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• Oh yes, we have a chunk of paint missing from the wall behind her booster chair because she kept pushing off the table. It keeps getting worse because she picks at it when she thinks I am not looking. She ruined the blinds for our sliding glass doors by trying to use them to "fly", and the blinds in her room are ridiculous. 4 more years in this apartment and I don't even think about how much we will be paying housing for things the kids have ruined. In our last house each set of blinds cost us $32!!!!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 6:26 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• Yes, at that age they were pretty destructive. You have to stay on top of them and keep them busy. Redirect their behavior when you can. At that age, unless you are punishing right when the offense happens, he may not be relating the punishment to what he did. Be consistent, it takes time.

Answer by missanc at 6:54 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• My ds wouldn't be a typical boy if he didn't.. and now that my dd is crawling everywhere he has a partner in crime.
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 9:22 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• Not on purpose, but yeah, it happens. We have a rice paper shade situation that I'm sure can be fixed, but I haven't yet figured out how. It's not a simple fix (I've straightened them out many times over the years, unrelated to kids, but this one is impressive.) The boys got the cord loose and were looping it around the doorknob and some other stuff to make a "tug for a tug boat" and....until I take the time to work it out it's just going to be wrong and essentially "broken."

One of them broke my (new) glasses once, when they were much younger (~22 months.) I had to get them replaced within the first week of having them....fortunately, my insurance covered one replacement for free. And also fortunately, I haven't had the same issue since then!

I haven't tried to address any of this with punishment, though. Being proactive is important. Also, look at the need the behavior is meeting & find alternative ways to meet that need.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:20 AM on Aug. 11, 2012

• I JUST say kids will be kids. I have a small hole in one of my hall way walls because someone decided to kick it. I'm sure. No one rats one the other so its hard to say which one of them did it.
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 11:31 AM on Aug. 14, 2012