How do you get yor teen to care how he looks?

Greasy hair he gets from his dads side.His nervous tick is a side affect from meds.but, nobody would notice them so much if he would stop dressing like a doofus...ie camo athletic pants and a bright orange striped polo.ugh!!! The pics I took will be worth something when he is big and embarrased but now he just gets made fun of.Tried to teach him he just don't get it!

mamamom431

Asked by mamamom431 at 2:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• The more I tell my son to stop dressing like an idiot the more he does it, so as long as he's clean I say let it go and he will change on his own.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 2:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Give him time one day he will meet a girl that he really likes and she might say something and that is where he will start to change. Right now we as parents talk and it only goes in one ear and out the other. Or maybe he has to get very embarrassed to change, depends on the kid I guessteen boyGL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• yep. i didn't care how i looked and then one day i realized there was no way i was gonna get this guy i wanted. from that day on i cared lol. never got him though. got better ones instead :))
    Anonymous

• If he doesnt actually care why does it matter so much?
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Let him go through this phase or he will become rebellious. My daughter shocked me to death when she decided to dress goth. First though, satanic but it was an expression of how she felt at the moment. She wanted to look different and she most certainly did. It passed.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 2:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Lol, I thought it was just my son! My 14 year old will gladly go to school with greasy hair! He takes a shower once a week , whether he needs it or not! Lol Unless we force him to take one sooner. It is kind of a game for me now though. I just like to wait for him to do it on his own without being told. I'm curious how long he would go without a shower. At least it's not summer time! lol
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 2:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• it's just another learning experience:)
    Butterfly37

Answer by Butterfly37 at 3:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• he's finding himself, he will learn on his own, just keep encouraging him to be more conscious about his hygiene. When he sees a girl he truly likes, you'll be suprised how fast he'll clean up LOL
    Dicea

Answer by Dicea at 3:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My son is 13, and if left to his own devises wouldn't shower when there is no school, or change his socks or underwear. I'm told it's a boy thing. On the fashion front- he recently got a crush on a girl and started brushing/styling his hair, wearing cologne...it will come, once he notices girls, trust me. Maybe he likes his unique look? Maybe THIS is how he's choosing to stand out at school? Who knows! Good luck!
    MistyLynn0111

Answer by MistyLynn0111 at 5:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• obviously he's ok with dressing like that and the consequences it brings. Maybe he likes the attention even if negative. If he's ok with it then I think you should cut him some slack. When he's ready to change then he'll tell you.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2009