13 yr old boy and XBOX how much is too much time?

My son has good grades and he is organized. he is a B average student. He wants to play xbox for hours. If I take it away during the week all he wants to do is play all weekend. He is not interested in sports he has tried them all. He does like to go outside and play football or skateboard, but his favorite thing to do is play XBOX. its drives us nuts, he would play all day if allowed. So, how much time is appropriate for him to play daily or weekly?

pepperannrocks

Asked by pepperannrocks at 2:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Well this is something that I have been dealing with my son with. I think I agree with a little bit of what everybody is saying. I would like him to go outside more but I do make him do his chores and homework first. He isn't really into anything else except his skateboard and bike and football, just like your son. He does go play with his friends on the weekends, most of the time. I would like it if he would take more of a break from the games. If he isn't on his game cube he is on one of the computers in the house. We kinda go rounds with this as I take online classes through Univ of Phoenix and so I am always on the computer, so I feel bad about telling him he needs to get off the games. We just do equal time with outside and the games or computer.
    jewelz596

Answer by jewelz596 at 6:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I dont put a time limit on. As long as their grades are good, they do things I ask around the house, and are following rules then they can play until they turn into an XBox

Answer by gemgem at 2:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My 10 yr old son is like that. Let me be the first to say it becomes a habit. I def put a limit on it. During the week he is only allowed an hour a day as long as all homework and chores are done. If it is a nice day I dont let him play the games, he goes out side and gets the physical activity in and social with his friends. On the weekends he plays alot more.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 2:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Just let him be I have the same problem only he is my ss and I love him dearly I tell my dh he is on that XBOX all of the time he'll visit with us spend quality time and then my dh tells him to go and play all hours of the day or night. There are times I walk in there to offer him something to eat or drink and his eyes are red. But I would rather have him inside enjoying himself then to start to hang out with the wrong crowd. It really depends on the parents I guess. I personally would tell him to take a break once in awhile. Seems like too much of everything is bad so u decide.teen boy

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I make my son go outside and play for equal time he spends playing video games.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 3:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I don't have a gaming system in my house. I do let my kids play educational games on the computer but they are limited to 25 minutes per day depending on behavior. I do know adults that are addicted to video games to the point that their families suffer. I would definately put a time limit.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• moderation in all things is always a good motto. I was thinking when I read your question that if a child is bad and put into time out ten minutes per their age then would the same be a good limit with these games? So that would make it 130 minutes of xbox. wow, that's over 2 hours. I've heard therapist say they should stop them at least 2 hours before bedtime to let their brain calm down after all that stimulation. Not sure kids will heed that advice but it sounds good!

Answer by admckenzie at 6:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My son is exactly the same. I haven't allowed him to have an Xbox and instead bought him a Wii so we could all play it together as a family. He does however, play his PSP non-stop - I take it away from him when messes up, doesn't get up for school on time or gets into trouble - but he spends all weekend at his friend's playing Xbox anyway. If your son is doing well at school then let him enjoy his past-time and you never know, when he grows up he may end up working in the gaming industry. It's going to continue to expand as rapidly as technology and your son might just find his dream job one day.
    mcminimee

Answer by mcminimee at 1:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Thank you for all your opinions, they do help!
    pepperannrocks

Answer by pepperannrocks at 4:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2009