ex-godfather...should i give back his gift?

our daughter's godfather bought us a brand new washer& dryer for a wedding gift. about 5 months later my husband walked in on him smoking crack. we cut ties with him then and there. that is not something i want in my children's lives. he wants us to pay him for the washer and dryer, or give them back so he can sell them. my feelings on this is that they were a gift, so we shouldn't have to pay.

does he have the right to take back a gift because we chose not to be friends with him anymore? should we give them back? or are we right in keeping them?

jcsmummy

Asked by jcsmummy at 2:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• He's on drugs...and this is typical of him to do this but deep down, he doesn't want the washer and dryer back, it's the drugs that are talking..ignore him and do not let it get the best of you...the one thing that I would be concerned with is, if he was a significant part of your children's lives and the affect his absence would be to them...all the rest is crap...if he takes you to court, you can tell the judge the truth that it was a gift and a judge will dismiss his claim and see right through him that he's a crack head...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• You keep them and tell him to go to rehab. They were a gift so thats that. Anyway he would just sell them for drugs!

Answer by gemgem at 2:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• you can tell him no and then he can go from there. he may choose to file civil charges in the form of a small claims court lawsuit but there is not telling how that will play out. he probably just wants to sell them for drug money anyway-dont give them back.
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 2:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• A gift is a gift, he has no legal rights to them. It is up to you whether you keep the gift. I certainly would not give them back though. If you decide to give them away donate them goodwill and you can right it off as a tax deduction.
    Anonymous

• OMG, it sounds like he needs money for crack! No, you don't have to give them back but in a crack addict's mind he might feel like you owe him and might try to steal them (or something from you the equivalent of their value) or even harass you. Since he's on crack, I personally would give them back just to break the connection with him.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Him being on crack give them back to him you don't want him sneaking in your house or breaking it because he feels those are his (in his mind) and he doesn't have a right mind.

Don't pay for them just give them back, so what if they were gifts you have already cut ties with him cut ties with the gifts.

Crack makes you dumb/stupid stuff, it is not worth it. That is scary.good luck

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• 1) a gift is a gift, no "indian giving allowed"
    2) he is a jerk and needs to be in rehab, so tell him to go to rehab and THEN you will deal with the w/d
    3) you know hes going to use that money for drugs, so offer to pay him back in services like lawn mowing or something. just dont give him money, and tell him to get help.

best of luck!!! ;)
    joshismyangel

Answer by joshismyangel at 2:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• You don't want him breaking IN your house I mean't to say.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• we're moved away and he doen't know where we live, he just has my cell # and sends me texts. should i go to his house and have the possibility of him following me home or just change my cell #. it was a real shock that he even did drugs, im kind of at a loss for what to do
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I think a gift is that, and no I would not give them back. I agree he would most likely sell them for drugs. I have a question for you. I see in your title you put ex-godfather. How is he an ex-godfather? Did you get a new godfather for your child? How did you do that? I am curious for I have two Godparents I would like to replace. They are not in my sons/families life no more.
    momfourboys

Answer by momfourboys at 2:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2009