Solid Food

My boys (7 1/2 months) have been on 1st stage solid food for a month now and doing very well. When should I switch to second and then 3rd? How do I tell when they're ready for the next step?

djevica

Asked by djevica at 2:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Step 2 is usually for when they are eating more food. It is the same as stage 1 there is just more of it. Step 3 is when they are ready to learn to chew soft bits of food. Hope this answer helps.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 2:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• 2nds aren't much different than 1st foods... just more flavors. 3rds are a bit thicker and some of them has chunks.
    My baby likes his foods thick so he's been getting them all from the start (except the ones with chunks) and I also make his foods and those tend to be thicker and have more texture than the jar foods.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• well i heard that when your baby can sit up with support and hold s/he's head give them first stage, and when they start crawling give them the second stage and when they start trying to walk give them the third stage. good luck!
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 3:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I make my own baby food, so I'm not sure about the stages. However, at 7 1/2 mo., your boys are probably ready to start some food with texture, lumps and maybe even a few finger foods. Try Baby Mum Mums and chunks of ripe banana....those are great starters!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• my son is 7 1/2 months and i feed him the gerber cheese puffs. he LOVES them! it all depends on the baby. from what i have seen the only difference between stage 1 and 2 is the amout of food and the different flavors.
    softbalchic2004

Answer by softbalchic2004 at 5:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2009