If you are divorced, do you split claiming your child for income taxes?

My ex husband and I have one child together. He had two he had custody of with his first marriage. They are both adults now, but he is trying to say that he shouldn't have to pay his share of the medical expenses because he doesn't get to claim our child on taxes. He claims I get thousands back from the government every year because I get to claim our child. He also said that most people he knows alternates years to claim the kids.

I asked my friends and while some do, most don't. I am trying to figure out what is average for this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Aug. 10, 2012 in Money & Work

• I have 2 girls. My ex claims 1, I claim the other. If you have primary custody & just 1 child and, it wasn't set up like that in the decree, tell him to quit his bitching. Don't give in & make sure he pays his half of expenses (I'm assuming that was in the decree).
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:29 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• gosh... did we marry the same person?? lol he sounds like my ex too. I am going through the exact thing where the insurance is concerned. I don't have insurance through my work and he does because he works for the city and STILL doesn't want to get our son on insurance. He is trying to claim that it's unreasonable for him to pay for, but I did some checking on it and it's not. lol He is just trying to weasel out of it.

I claim my son because: 1. He stays with me 100% of the time and 2. That's what it states in the divorce decree that I claim him.

As far as I know where the child resides more than 60% of the time is who gets to claim them. I wouldn't budge on it for sure!!
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 6:31 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• actually, I'm being nice. The decree says 60%. I only ask for half.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• he also claims he pays too much for child support even though I lowered it from what they said I could get by $130.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• I claim all 3 of mine every year. It's not in our custody order, so legally I get to claim them since I have primary custody.

Answer by missanc at 6:45 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• It's not in our custody agreement either. My parents were divorced and my mother claimed both of us every year. I, too, have primary custody.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• My ex and I have been divorced for 5 years. The year we filed for divorce, he had them put it in the papers that for that year, we still had to file together, since we were married for 1/2 of the year. After that, they said it was up to us. I do not let him claim them. Ever. Yet he still asks....every year. I figure that since they live with me and only summers with him, that I have the right to say no. He doesn't pay child support like he should either.
    Amanda0712

Answer by Amanda0712 at 6:50 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• If u have primary custody, I agree you should claim your child every year. My ex and I have 3 together and we share custody with an every other week schedule. So I claim them one year, he claims them the next. Every thing is joint including medical expenses.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 6:51 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• I claim my kids. They live with me and he never sees them, and doesn't pay child support. I also covered my ass when I filed for divorce and got it put in our settlement agreement (so he AGREED, can't claim they screwed him! lol) that I get to claim the kids UNLESS I CHOOSE to give the right to claim them to someone else.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:46 PM on Aug. 10, 2012

• We have 3 children, We agreed he claims one and I claim 2. He makes way more than me, while I would need the money more to take care of them since they will be living with me. I don't have a issue with him being a dad so I don't mind, he was just a lousy husband
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 10:55 PM on Aug. 10, 2012