Do you put time limits on your childs media (tv, game center, computer) time, but don't follow it yourself?

I've been wondering, how can I tell my DH to spend only 2 hours on tv, or play outside if I don't do that myself? I know I spend hours watching tv/movies/internet every night so won't I have to change that as she grows up? She's only 4 months now by the way so its not an issue, but later it will be.

MamaChamp

Asked by MamaChamp at 2:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, since you're brain isn't still developing like your child's is, the limitations applied should be different for an adult than for a child. TV etc. won't affect you as it will your child, so no, you don't have to follow the same limitations; however, you do need to be aware that you are not setting a precedent as she grows older that TV is the end-all and be-all of family activity. Watch TV after she's asleep, but also pick up a good book or find something other than television, computer games, etc... to do. Like try a family game name with no TV and just different board or card games to play each week. And family reading night, where everyone gets to read a book for the evening. Just some ideas, but ultimately, you'll have to decide how important these activities are for you and your family.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:00 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• LOl...nope..just do it after they are in bed. I am very strict with TV, gamind etc. with kids. With Mom and Dad or Grandma/Papa as the case may be.. I am rarely on when they are up..if I am it is for very short periods of time. After they are asleep..It is parents rule.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Yes, you will have to change your habits, in front of her. When she is with you. Kids learn a lot of things from there parents. But what you do after she is in bed asleep is a different thing. The saying "what she doesn't know wont hurt her".

Answer by louise2 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• lol, then I guess my DH will be forcing me to spend more time outdoors because I really want that for her.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:21 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I don't set time limits for myself or my husband. I'm not controlling and would never tell my husband how much time he could spend watching TV or on the Internet. I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.
    As far as my CHILD though, nope I don't set time limits for him either. He spends time watching TV, he spends time online, he spends time outside, he spends time reading, playing, listening to music, etc. He's happy and well adjusted and I'm not about to start setting rules when he's such a good kid on his own.
    Anonymous