How do i get 7 y/o dd to stop lying?

It is her job to feed the dog. She needs constant reminders so every morning and every evening we ask her "Did you feed Pooh Bear?" Lately she has been lying and saying yes, when she hasn't done it. I can only tell b/c the our dog sits next to her bowl and stares at us. I will ask her repeatedly and she will still keep insisting she fed her. I have explained to her that her dog needs to eat and when she lies to us she hurts her dog (who she loves more than anything) and makes us not trust her. Eventually I tell her I know she is lying and then she will admit it and cry and put herself in time out. But she keeps doing it.

4monkees

Asked by 4monkees at 3:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Change the way you verify. Each morning or evening it is her job. Have her show you the food before adding it to the bowl. When she asks why..tell her, because you were lying and we have to be sure the animal who can't do it himself gets taken care of. Make a chart. The days she does it w/o reminding...add a star. Days with no lies...add a star. Make a reward list. XYZ = 5 stars...she can 'spend ' them a little along the way or save up for a big one. We did a version of this system with our severe ADHD child. Only he earned chips(poker chips) and needed chips top spend to watch 30 mins of TV, or to go outside to play....but he earned chips for basically everything he did w/o being told. Like get up when alarm goes off. Make bed. Fix breakfast, ready to leave on time...all those earned chips. It builds self esteem, allows them to earn rewards. Rewards don't have to be expensive. Our big one was 20 chips to tent out w/ Dad..
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I think what I would do in that situation is not fix her plate at dinner. When she asks where hers is, tell her that you already fed her. I would keep it up until I was done eating. Then explain that that is what the dog feels like when you forget to feed him and lie about it.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2009