WAT WOULD YOU DO IF A FRIEND WHO IS 16 GOT A TATTOO ?

WELL SHE IS MY DAUGHTERS BEST FRIEND AND THEY SHOWED ME THAT SHE HAD GOTTEN FOR STARS TATTOOED ON HER TUMMY MY GOD I WASH SHOCKED I GOT REALLY MAD AT HER THEY TRUST ME SO MUCH THAT I CANT GO TO HER MOM AND TELL HER ALL I CAN DO IS HELP HER NOT TO GET INFECTED WAS I WRIGHT OR WRONG

FIVEHAPPYHEARTS

Asked by FIVEHAPPYHEARTS at 3:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would as you did advise her on proper care so at least it doesn't get infected. It would depend a lot on the specific situation what else I would feel I should do.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:04 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I would have just asked her how she got a tattoo at 16 and leave it alone. I'm not one for ratting the kids out over things unless it is a BIG health/ safety risk.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• You can tell w/out really telling. I think it is irresponsible on your part Not to tell. If she gets an infection and you knew why you would feel horrible. Wouldn't you want to know if the situation were reversed.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 3:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Wow!!! that's pretty brave of them to show you. But then again that tells you how confident they are in you as well. I'm not sure what the laws are but I would definitely tell her mother but go with her when you do or have her tell her mother either way go with her when she does tell her mother. What's done is done. Not unless the mother wants to have her get a skin graft and have it taken off. Not sure if the insurance will cover that one.
    sunflowerfreak

Answer by sunflowerfreak at 3:20 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Don't tell her parents! Your daughter will never confide in you again! Don't ruin your relationship with your daughter! The girl is safe! Your responsibility ends there. Help her to make sure it doesn't get infected then maybe try to convince her to tell her parent on her own. Also find out where she got it done and report them!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 3:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• how did she get them without her parents consent? are they professionally done?
    Candice_brooke

Answer by Candice_brooke at 3:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't let my minor child get a tattoo, but thats my opinion. I have seen middle school students with their eyebrows pierced at my daughters school and I think that's too young.
    Angie32Red

Answer by Angie32Red at 6:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I just took my 17 year old son for a tattoo. He has been wanting one since he was 15. He will be 18 in a couple of months. I don't know how she got one with a parent there. I had to go to the police dept and get a permission slip notarized!! On top of that, I had to be there with ID. The tattoo artist said he will NOT do under 17 even if the parent is there. My son had to wash the tattoo with antibacterial soap and get Lubriderm UNSCENTED lotion and apply 2x a day for week. It"s not anything evil, it says our last name and the saying...Without Family you have nothing...I guess that is how he convinced us...lol
    nygirlcathe

Answer by nygirlcathe at 11:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Wow....most of the places here where I'm from will not EVEN think of tattooing you until you are 18. Don't know if it's the law or just common sense but I totally agree with it. My youngest (16) is studying to be a tattooist...and she has an apprentice in an upstanding shop (she's his 1st...cause he has never found anyone good enough before) .....and he still won't tat on her till she's of age. I have told anyone I have ever met not to even think about tats until at least 21. What the hell do you know as a teen...ya know!!
    TylersMom323

Answer by TylersMom323 at 12:59 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I'd ask her where she got it done then instruct her on the proper aftercare. If it was done by a professional you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I wouldn't rat her out either. Just be glad your a trusted adultt hat they know they can come to with problems. Too me thats more important than telling her parents. Maybe they signed a consent form. Who knows.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 5, 2009