Domestic violence or proper Christian Domestic Discipline?

I'm sure that this "trend" is not wide-spread.  At least, I hope not.  What woman in the 21st Century would subject herself to this sort of "discipline"?

Need a Good Spanking? Try Christian Domestic Discipline Marriage

Just when I think I have seen it all, I stumble upon something called Christian Domestic Discipline (CDD) marriage, a rising trend in conservative Christian households. A CDD marriage, for the uninitiated, is "marriage is one in which one partner is given authority over the other, and has the means to back up that authority, usually by spanking." And, of course, that one partner with authority is always the man and always in reference to a heterosexual relationship. I guess the LGBT community has to miss out on all the domestic violence fun.

You see, according to this popular CDD website, modern culture with its "radically selfish feminism" and its "wholesale bias against true manhood" is undermining good old fashioned Christian heterosexual marriage. Clearly, this can all be fixed with spanking.

Husbands, don't worry if you don't already know how to best smack your wife around. CDD websites are full of helpful tips! For example, you should "take caution not to deliver the lashes anywhere but the buttocks," remind your wife that "she is not in control of this discipline," and while you "may find it difficult to cause your wife pain," you need to remember that "as a woman she needs the release of guilt that this form of punishment brings." If your wife sinned in front of your children, she should be spanked in front of them, too. Oh, and don't feel confused if this seems like mixing business with pleasure: "a woman’s bottom," one site claims, "was created not only as an enticement to men but as a target for his hand when she disobeys."

With descriptions such as those, who could resist the pull of a Christian Domestic Discipline marriage? It has it all: domestic violence, homophobia, and the humiliation of women. I had thought my marriage, based on equality, mutual respect, and openness was solid. I see now that I have let my selfish feminism cloud my view.

In all seriousness, though, this trend is incredibly disturbing. No matter how you dress up domestic violence, no matter what higher calling you attribute it to, hitting your partner is wrong. Hitting them once is unacceptable; establishing a system of violence that governs your marriage is twisted and horrifying and must be stopped.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 12:11 AM on Aug. 11, 2012 in Religious Debate

• If you want your husband to be able to administer physical discipline to you in front of your children...and this is what you sign up for...don't come crying to me or the rest of the taxpayers when you need to leave and he has controlled you out of having a job or access to the money. (not "you" obviously, but someone who would agree to this!)

The only people I feel bad for in this situation are the children who will grow up thinking that nonsense is normal!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:23 AM on Aug. 11, 2012

• This takes the cake in weird. I have no problem telling fellow Christians "this ain't biblical."
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 12:28 AM on Aug. 11, 2012

• I'm sure that this "trend" is not wide-spread.

This is a sub-group of a very widespread fetish community. There are spankos all over the place, but most of them don't get into the whole Christian aspect of it. Some of the ones who do are exceptionally creepy - they advertise for young women to come live with them, so they can be taught "proper discipline" to be prepared for a husband.

There's also a segment of it that considers it theraputic rather than sexual. They get very offended if you lump them in with the people who are just into it as a kink. The CDD people fall in both halves - the kink and the theraputic. I've read some pretty entertaining arguments about it on one of the websites I used to do design work for, some of the "normal" people (relatively speaking) hate the CDD people, because they seem to be the ones that take it to extremes.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:56 AM on Aug. 11, 2012

• yuck. i dont recall "spank your wife when you dont like her behavior" being in the Bible anywhere. nothing like a life of fear & servitude to prove you really love a man...idiots all of them!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:08 AM on Aug. 11, 2012

• being in the Bible anywhere

They justify it all with that "obey" bit that most people leave out of the vows now.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:25 AM on Aug. 11, 2012

• LMFAO!!
    If someone is stupid enough to fall into this-oh well.

My first thought though was, I think they get off on it; both sides. I think it's a sexual thing.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:02 AM on Aug. 11, 2012

• Domestic violence to me! spankings should be left for the bedroom some enjoy this as foreplay but authority hell no!

Answer by older at 7:47 AM on Aug. 11, 2012

• I wonder if any of those who engage in this are also the same ones who get all up in arms when a parent spanks their child?

Personally, I'm one of those people who believes that adults are free to do as they wish. I will never give a man authority over me, and he better hope there's a higher power to help him if he tries to spank me because I will lay him out.

I think this is just another fetish, and the people involved are giving it this "Christian" spin so they can do it without feeling like they're doing something wrong.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:12 AM on Aug. 11, 2012

• wendy, now that makes a lot of sense, you might be on to something!!!!!

Answer by older at 8:35 AM on Aug. 11, 2012

• like the pp said, ''ain't biblical'' and its crap..its domestic violence, as sure as i've got a uterus or smart mouth.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:45 AM on Aug. 11, 2012