Ritalin - My two grandsons take this (6&7 yrs old). I'm afraid of the side effects I am hearing. Should I be? Anyone with children on Ritalin for long periods of time that can answer this?

LindaCarol12652

Asked by LindaCarol12652 at 3:04 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Health

• I would be too! People sell Ritalin on the street and crush it and snort it like Cocaine to get high!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 3:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I have 2 cousins, adults now, that took it as kids. They grew up to be very healthy, normal adults. That's not to say you shouldn't be concerned, but one thing that my dr and my pharmacist both told me is that the side effects listed and mentioned for any drug, are often very rare. When they do the trials for the drug, the studies where real people take the drug and some take a placebo, one person might have had a heart attack as a result, so they have to list heart attack as a potential side effect. Or two people had a stroke, so there it is on the paperwork. The way the pharmacist put it to me is if you are a generally healthy person, the side effects probably will not happen to you, but you should be aware of what they are just in case. But, you can always talk to the dr and find out if there are other meds, with less side effects, or less severe ones, to help ease your mind.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I TOOK RITALIN GROWING UP MY MOM SAID IT TURNED ME INTO A ZOMBIE SO SHE SLOWLY TOOK ME OFF IT. ALSO I HEARD THAT IT CAN CAUSE FERTILITY PROBLEMS WICH I FIRMLY BELIEVE IT TOOK ME 6 YEARS TO CONCIEVE.THERE ARE OTHER THINGS ON THE MARKET FOR CHILDREN THIER AGE THAT HAS LESS SIDE EFFECTS. ALSO HERE IS A BIG QUESTION ARE THEY ACTUALLY HYPER ACTIVE OR ARE THEY JUST KIDS. IT SEEMS LIKE NO A DAYS DOCTORS ARE DOPING UP KIDS LEFT AND RIGHT NOT CONDSIDERING THIER AGES. 6 AND 7 YEAR OLD BOYS ARE BOUND TO ACT A LITTLE WILD THATS JUST NORMAL BEHAVIOR. SO MABYE YOU OR THEIR PPARENTS SHOULD CHECK INTO IT MORE.IT BE A GOOD IDEA. WELL I HOPE THIS HELPED YOU A BIT
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Feb. 5, 2009