How is it that cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard?

I could see this if you propped the bottle up with blankets, but if it's thin and the mother is feeding it to her child and keeping an eye on the child I don't see how in any way it would be a choking hazard.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son is 1 and i've been putting cereal in his bottle since he was 2 months old. not because i'm lazy, or because he doesn't know how to be spoon fed, but because he's border line anemic and needs the extra iron. in 10 months of doing this, my son has NEVER choked on a "lump" of cereal. the lump is no longer a lump as soon as it passes through the hole of the nipple. therefore the baby cannot choke. no retard in their right mind would make the milk and cereal as thick as mashed potatoes thats just non sense. it's just extra nutrition that the formula or milk is lacking, and can't be spoon fed because the consistancy is too runny. and if your child is anything like my son, if he is spoon fed he has to be able to chew everything. so it's pointless for me to not put it in his bottle and try to give it to him in a spoon. it'll just be milky cereal all over my carpet. so there. my son hasn't choked, i don't see any reason 4 urs 2.
    FreshEG

Answer by FreshEG at 6:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I gave my 2 kids and my grandson cereal in a bottle. Watch them and they will be ok. Some parents just object to it because the doctors say dont do it.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 3:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Would you drink mashed potatoes from a straw? No b/c it's too thick. Babies are use to very thin formula or breast milk so when you "thicken" their usual drink they don't really know how to swallow it.
    Not to mention that you should be teaching your baby to eat from a spoon. Of course, only formula or breastmilk is needed the first 6 months.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 3:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• They can aspirate it into thier lungs. Formula/breastmilk can be coughed back out, or the body will absorb it. Mix in cereal, and you get it to set up like concrete.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't thicken the bottle to the consistency of mashed potatoes. duh.

If a baby should be learning to eat from a spoon then why even give them formula or breast milk? It just doesn't make sense... just because I'd feed my LO a little cereal in a bottle doesn't mean I'd never teach him to eat from a spoon. How many 40 year olds do you know who don't know how to use a spoon due to their mother feeding cereal in a bottle?
    Anonymous

• You'd think we would know better.

beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 3:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• It could all not mix in and there could be a lump. The baby is going along with this nice thin liquid and suddenly there's a literal lump in his throat.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• because regardless of how well you mix it or how 'thin' you think it is there could still be lumps in it.

i honestly don't see the point in putting cereal in a bottle to begin with. it's utter laziness.
    if your child is ready for solids then FEED them using a spoon.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Anything is a choking hazard if the esophagus is not yet ready to handle the consistency (or lack of consistency). It's also a great way to give someone aspiration pneumonia. I worked primarily with the elderly who had to have the consistency of diets altered due to swallowing problems and the malfunctioning of the esophagus. I could imagine for a baby developing skills and learning to use different foods for the first time it would be no different when food consistency is concerned. You don't want to give something to someone to eat that you aren't sure they can handle. What turned out "OK for other parents doesn't mean it will turn out "OK" for you. I suggest relying on the doctor who knows you and your baby best when deciding what is right or wrong for him/her.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2009