What would you do different?

The school said my son is below average on his school work what else can I do he doesn't want to do any more school work at home (what kid would)?
I work with him one on one and he does well but fustrated at times, I want to make it exciting instead of boring.
I don't want him to stay behind either he is a second grader and if he is struggling now imagine the next grade. Any Ideas???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• check out www.funbrain.com. It has lots of fun learning games for K-8. Look for other ways to make learning fun. Staring @ books is not alwys so fun. Do science experiments together. Find books he is interested in and read them together. you read one page, he reads the next.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 3:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Pay for a tutor if you can. Send him to Sylvan's learning center, if you can afford it.

Answer by louise2 at 3:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Every chance you get, incorporate learning into everyday stuff. Get excited about it. He may look at you like you lost your mind, but just let that roll off your shoulder. Is there childern's museums nearby? Maybe take him to those, they have lots of interactive stuff he can do. Get excited when he catched on to things, and tell him how smart he is. Once a kid falls in the dumb category, it's so hard to get them out of it.

You can try tutoring centers if you're able to, but at home make it fun. Find out what he likes best, maybe go to the library and rent a book on science projects and have weekends dedicated to it.

Also consider this: there are two types to ADHD, is his problem not paying attention, this can be being to figdety or daydreaming. Look into that, educated yourself on it. (Believe me, I hated the idea of my kid being ADHD, but in the end it helped him a bit in school.)

Good Luck!!
    Anonymous

• Try Leapster II or the new one for older kids - also there are tons of computer games that are age/grade based that use core subjects but disguise them as games. Look on some homeschooling sites or the Jumpstart series.

You can also try cooking with him from recipes - if you get a plastic lettuce knife there's not much he can't help with, and it will help him with math and reading
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Get creative! There are games for kids that are great for literacy and math (monopoly, scrabble, yahtzee, etc). Create your own games, find some fun interactive games online (or software), etc. Think like a child. How would you want the lessons presented to you? What would make it easier to understand? Is he a hands-on type of kid...does he do better watching videos...or would he prefer reading the lessons?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• See if they will allow him to sit closer to the teacher. Have his eyes tested in case he isn't reading the board and doesn't know any better. That happened to me and I needed glasses but assumed if I couldnt see then nobody else could either, so as a kid I didnt know to even speak up!
    Fifilaflea

Answer by Fifilaflea at 9:10 PM on Feb. 4, 2009