should i be concerned?

Ok so i just changed my 6month olds diaper and his poo was dark green....he's mostly breastfed but gets a little rice cereal during the day. Is something wrong? or is it normal baby body things?

MomCakes

Asked by MomCakes at 3:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• oh honey you will see so many different colors of poo in the following years if everything else is okay i dont think you need to worry
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 3:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My guys poo changes color all the time. It was green around that age I know. It's freaky looking.
    Anonymous

• My breast fed baby's poop is usually green, not the normal mustard yellow.

My doctor just said it's because the stuff that causes it to be green comes out in the small intestines but some babies have green poop because it's not in the intestines long enough for the "green stuff" to come out, especially breast fed babies.

I wouldn't be concerned, but look for other signs like a bad diaper rash, constipations, diarrhea, extreme fussiness. If there are any of those call your doctor.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 3:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Dark green is okay :)

Oh the range of colors for baby poo!! It's amazing!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My little guy was having green poop too, the dr told me it was from the foremilk, i was switching breasts at every feeding (he would fall asleep). Told me to stop switching and the green poop stopped. The fore milk has a higher water content then the hindmilk, hindmilk is richer and higher in fat. You really want to get that stuff in to them.
    wadesmum

Answer by wadesmum at 6:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2009