What is the best shampoo to use on a preteen (10 yr.old) who is too old for kid shampoo and too young for adult?

My daughter has long shoulder length hair and any shampoo in the kids aisle causes it to be brittle and when wet sticks together-not at all smooth. I would like to get something from the store if possible and not expensive from a salon.

kazamom

Asked by kazamom at 3:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I use on my 7 and 11 year olds what I use on mine. Normal shampoo.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 3:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• shampoo is shampoo. the only difference in the kids shampoos and adults is that kids is normally tear free. as for cleaning, they both do the same thing equally.

let her use yours
    Anonymous

• Shampoo is shampoo. Don't go by all that kids, adults packaging stuff. When it comes down to it it's all the same.

Answer by louise2 at 3:20 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I would get something that's a shampoo/conditioner mix. herbal essence, or even Suave. (both are pretty inexpensive.) They even have ones that are volumizing which sounds like it would be good for your situation.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 3:21 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Let her decide. Herbal Essences would probably be a popular one because it smells so good. However, if her hair is brittle, I would go with a separate shampoo and conditioner. You'll get a deeper condition with a separate shampoo and conditioner. (Shampoo opens the cuticle and cleans it, conditioner fills and closes the cuticle...also, have her rinse the conditioner out with cold water...it will help her hair retain more of the conditioning properties).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:47 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I buy Sauve for my two middle girls ages 10&7 it works fine for them.Most imprtantly it is cheap and they love the way it smells,i get the fruity ones
    nikki7376

Answer by nikki7376 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• suave is always good, when my boys were coming up they both liked the ones with shampoo and conditioner
    Ravynsmom

Answer by Ravynsmom at 6:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• She isn't too young to start taking care of her hair with salon products! If her hair is that brittle I might try Biologe conditioning balm and then get some "silk" leave-in hair glosser!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• uhh... no suave is crap! Pantene is crap as well! Anything wax based will strip your hair ( and your hair will break). I have always had EXTREMELY LONG Hair.. and I got it that way by taking care of it... Also when you are combing her hair ( make sure you use a leave-in).. hold the ends in your hand.. detangle those first and then go up to the top of her head (roots) and comb through! NEVER brush her hair when wet.. use a wide tooth detangling comb making sure the ends are free of snaggles first ( this will eliminate breakage and fly-aways).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• I use "adult" shampoo on my two year old. We all use the same in my house.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:06 AM on Feb. 5, 2009