My son is waking up soon and the tooth fairy can't find the tooth under his pillow (or anywhere in his bed). What should she do?

Just leave the money under the pillow?

Backstory:

This is the 2nd tooth my DS6 has lost. The 1st one, he lost at school. They put it in a bag and he brought it home. He put it under his pillow and the tooth fairy came and did her business. But she didn't hid the tooth well, actually put it in the bathroom drawer of my DS bathroom. So of course, DS found the tooth. We didn't know he even found it until he was telling the grandparents about losing his 1st tooth and when they asked about the toothfairy, he said he found it in his bathroom. Note: My husband was the tooth fairy and he got an earfull after that.

So I took over as the tooth fairy. He lost another tooth Thurs but we were so busy all that day getting ready for back to school that he was really tired and went straight to bed without putting the tooth under his pillow. I reminded him Friday (yesterday) to put his tooth under. He took it to his room but as of this morning, it's not under his pillow or in or around his bed.

What should I do? Just leave money? Leave nothing and if he asks say she must not have found it? Anything else?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 8:20 AM on Aug. 11, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids did that once. We left no money until we knew the tooth was under the pillow. The school nurse and dentist have these small plastic boxes in the shape of a tooth. We told each kid to leave the tooth in the box so the tooth fairy could find it. We also helped them to put it under their pillow when they went to bed so we knew where it was and just grabbed the tooth box. We used to give out Sacajawea dollar coins. The kids thought they were real gold. We also used to give out the presidential dollar coins, too.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:26 AM on Aug. 11, 2012

• Do it before he goes to bed...

Answer by older at 8:35 AM on Aug. 11, 2012

• When teeth get lost, we have them write a note to the TF instead. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:44 AM on Aug. 11, 2012

• I saw special pillows for kids to use. When mine were little we put them in an envelope addressed to the tooth fairy. made it much easier to find.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:01 AM on Aug. 11, 2012

• I wouldn't put the money there yet. When he comes to you in the morning saying there's no money under his pillow, tell him to take him to take him to his room and you'll look with him. When you "see no money" either, ask him where the tooth is, he'll say drawer, bathroom, chest whatever. Tell him maybe she came, didn't find the tooth in the "spot" i.e. under the pillow that's why she must have returned without taking the tooth and putting money under there.
    Then you both can prepare the tooth for tonight, putting it in a box or envelope or whatever and the tooth fairy can make a another visit :)
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 9:07 AM on Aug. 11, 2012

• I like cookie's answer. Don't leave money when you can't find the tooth.

Answer by Bmat at 9:27 AM on Aug. 11, 2012

• She could leave a note. Just saying she thought for sure he'd lost another, but she looked & couldn't find it. She could make a specific request (please put it in X, or please wrap it up in a Kleenex tissue & put it under your pillow) so she's sure to find it next time and say she'll check back.

My daughter recently was in a movie about losing your first tooth, and at the first meeting of the cast & crew (college film students), they all told "losing my tooth" stories. One of them had dropped her tooth in the yard & couldn't find it (and was very upset about it!), and remembers she got a letter from the tooth fairy all about how she was flying overhead & she saw that tooth, and how she came to find her so she could leave the money. (They had lots of stories about what they got instead of money, too, or how their parents handled the whole thing.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:35 AM on Aug. 11, 2012

• Or just tell him that she must have dropped it if he finds it. If you find it before him then there's no problem. In either case, just leave the money.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 5:08 AM on Aug. 12, 2012

• Ekkk, found the bag [the tooth was in] last night while I was cleaning his room. No tooth though. He hasn't said anything either. We'll just let this one slide and have a better strategy next time. ;)
    keisha613

Comment by keisha613 (original poster) at 8:32 AM on Aug. 12, 2012

• I always put it in an envelope and make sure it is at the edge of the pillow. Sometimes it is far under their head when I get there, but they never woke up. Once it was lost at school and I said the tooth fairy knows when you lose your tooth and put money under the pillow anyways.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 7:01 PM on Aug. 15, 2012