Which national chain or local N. Illinois Tax Professionals are the best?

I live in McHenry County Illinois and need to use a tax professional. My Husband and I are newly married, Own one home, sold my other house in Oct. , have 3 kids between us, and do not want to do the taxes on Turbo tax, as I have done for myself in the past because it will be a it will be a complicated return, due to the house sale. We have choices, to name a few chain services: Jackson Hewitt, H&R Block (who charged me $200.00+ in the past for my individual return -kinda pricey I thought) and Liberty Tax service.
Does anyone know about these three or any other nationwide service that is a good value and does good work? Suggestions welcome. We will do our own next year with turbo tax, but this year's will be hairy and I don't want to miss out on a single return dollar!!

Smilinski

Asked by Smilinski at 3:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would stay away from the larger chains. What I have found is that most of the tax preparers there are not trained very well. I would look up accounting services and smaller local preparers in your area. They ususally do not charge you as much and give you more bang for your buck so to speak.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 4:30 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Years ago H & R block raked me over, and I have no experience with the other firms, I have been with a private guy for the last 20 some years, he was recommend by a friend, so ask around and get referrals from friends, co=workers or cold call and ask what their experience in what you need entails. Good Luck
    Ravynsmom

Answer by Ravynsmom at 5:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2009