Recommend books for 9yr old boy?

My 9yr old is a great reader and loves to read! In the last 2 quarters of school last year (2nd grade) he read the entire Harry Potter series. 7 books, 500+ pages each. This school year he's completed the Narnia series. His comprehension and reading abilities are very advanced for his age. He's bored with most of the books his piers are reading and finds them to be "so far below him", because they're usually under 150 pages and quite a bit easier reading level than where he is. However, his maturity level is right on for a 9 yr old. I'm having a hard time finding books that stimulate and challenge him academically but have age appropriate content.

Any suggestions?

skinnykat

Asked by skinnykat at 3:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Lord of the Flies and Of Mice and Men great classics are always good!
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 3:30 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Tom Sawyer
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 3:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• The Lois Lawry books are very good, especially The Giver. Also try Bunnicula which is very funny. If your son loves adventure, give him Island of the Blue Dolphin, The Witch on Blackbird Pond, Shiloh and check out The Time Warp Trio books, which may be a little too "unsophisticated" for him, but are still engaging and fun to read.
    AnimeGrandma

Answer by AnimeGrandma at 4:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• If he's a good reader...
    The Hobbit
    Ender's Game
    If he's an OK reader...
    Bunnicula
    Encyclopedia Brown
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• These are the books that my children read.

The Percy Jackson Series, Both of my boys have read these and loved them.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=percy+jackson+&x=0&y=0

Dragon Codex series My son just read these, he got them for Christmas and he loved them. He is in 4th grade and he to has read all the Harry Potters.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dragon+codex&x=0&y=0

Fable haven

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fablehaven&x=0&y=0

The Magic Thief
    Swindle
    Peter and the Starcatchers Box Set
    Magyk, Flyte, Physik, and Queste

These are just some of the books my children have read. We have a book case full of books and I am sure I could give you some more names if you are interested, just message me.

Good Luck and it is gr
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:56 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• TRy asking the teacher and the librarian, and the people who work in the book store. They probably have great ideas!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:27 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• The Artemis Fowl Series, Books by CS Lewis, The Eragon series, Inkheart, the Lord of the Rings books, Call of the Wild, To Kill a Mockingbird, Old Yeller, Where the Red Fern Grows, those are a few ideas. My son loved all of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. Not challenging by any means, but funny. :)
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:49 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• Just take him to the bookstore & let him pick out 3 books that are the first books to three series. He'll figure out which he wants to continue with, and will go with them. You can always read the synopsis on the backs of the books to see if they are appropriate material. This way, YOU don't have to take on the stress of finding something FOR him, and his intelligence won't be insulted. My brother always loved the Captain Underpants and Spiderwick Chronical series.
    ktrog

Answer by ktrog at 9:43 AM on Feb. 7, 2009

• James Patterson has a new series for kids. He wrote them because his son refused to read. I bought them for my 12 yr old. I started to read them and I like them. Find out what his interests are and take him to Barnes and Noble or another bookstore and let him pick out some books. There are so many good books. There is even a series of chapter books that are all about sports. You can PM me and I can get you some websites for books. One that I can remember is www.readkiddoread.com Also check with his teacher and the school libriarian.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2009