• In the Spotlight:

I am about to have a little girl hopefully in a few days and I already have a 5 year old son, my question is will they be close or will the age difference be too big?

adamzfam802

Asked by adamzfam802 at 3:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont think so, its whatever you're comfortable with
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:28 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• There's a 5 year age difference between my DH & his sister and they aren't close at all, never have been. On the other hand there's a 4 year age difference between my DD & DS and they are extremely close. My DD is older, she is great with him. They play together and she helps him out all the time. Of course they have their moments, but overall I've never seen 2 siblings get along better. I think it all depends on the kids.
    jenlenr

Answer by jenlenr at 3:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I don't think so. My older two are a yr. and 8 days apart and there are 3 yrs. between my middle and youngest and they're pretty close with the exception of the occasional sibling arguing lol
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 3:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• There's no way to tell.
    He may think she's the greatest thing ever or he may hate having a pesky little sister getting into his things and tagging along.
    She may think he's wonderful or she may hate having an older brother who's always bossing her around.
    Only time will tell.
    Make sure to have Mommy & Me dates with him. An hour or so once a week where the two of you go do something fun and the baby is never along. Make sure Daddy does it too. As the baby gets older, give her her very own "weekly date" time too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I am 5 years older than my brother and we were not close as kids but now that we are older we are very close. My husband had the same situation with his brother and sister. Once they hit their 20's the age difference does not seem so long.
    risas11722

Answer by risas11722 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• there is a 4 year, 6 year and a 7 year difference between me and my younger sisters. We all get along pretty good. I mean of course we argue like most siblings do, but maybe it's different between a brother and sister. I can't relate to that part being that I don't have a brother haha.
    xocyncyn

Answer by xocyncyn at 5:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• How involved was the other child in the pregnancy ? My granddaughter was 5 when her little sister was born and they are very close, if you allow him to particapate and tell him HE is the big brother, it should work out well..............
    Ravynsmom

Answer by Ravynsmom at 5:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• It depends on your kids.. My sister and i were 14 months apart and were very close.. my brother and i were 6 years apart and i didn't like him until he was like 18 haha..my kids are 14 months apart and fought like cats and dogs but my two daughters are 2 and a half years apart and get along fine.. but it really depends on their personalities....
    lovebooks

Answer by lovebooks at 8:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2009