Rabies

We just moved to a new house and there are a lot of stray animals around, my dog is up on her shots and everything but, she has been being really snappy and growling a lot. What are the chances of her getting rabies even though she has had her shots and what are the signs. I won't let her around the kids right now and is there a test other than the tens days thing the pound does.

matthewscandi

Asked by matthewscandi at 3:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Pets

• take her to a Vet and see what they think. there are many other symptoms to rabies than growling. If that is all she's doing, I think you are over reacting.
    Anonymous

• Most likely, she is just reacting to the move. I don't know of any cases where a dog had the shots and still contracted teh disease. The shot does wear off in time, which is why you still need to get them every few years, but if she's up to date, she's fine. I'd still check with the vet though. suddenly being snappy could mean tummy ache. Maybe the change in water, or something in the environment is hurting her. Just a regular checkup should clear that question.
    MsChevious

Answer by MsChevious at 3:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• a.) Your dog would have to have been bitten by an animal with rabies to have a chance of having gotten it.
    b.) Dogs are given the rabies shots to prevent them getting rabies even if they are bitten by a rabid animal. It is a vaccination.
    c.) If your dog has had her regular shots and hasn't been bitten (you would notice!) by a wild animal, then s/he doesn't have rabies.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Pagan Mama said it all... I'm sure she doesn't have rabies. However if she is growly and snappy I would still take her to the vet in case there is a phsyical reason for it- some dogs get that way if they are in some kind of pain. I would get her checked, but I don't think rabies is an issue.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:21 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• It sounds like she is very unsure of her new surroundings.If you say you all just moved, she maybe reacting about the noises she hears outside. If this is a strange environment to her  (how old is she) then maybe having a health ck up is a good idea. She may just need to adjust. (How long have you had her) You say this is unusual behavior? There are some homopathic solutions to calm her down. Ck with your vet.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 5:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• snappy could mean her teeth hurt ??
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 8:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I "over react" to everything right now. I am 37 weeks pregnant and have four small children. I realize it is probably just her getting used to the new surroundings and she is up on all her shots, I just wanted to be EXTRA sure. The last thing I need is her biting one of my kids. She is 2 years old and a Pomeranian. I have no experience with rabid animals so, I wouldn't know one if I saw it standing in front of me. I just wanted to be sure.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2009