What would you think??

My 13 year old nephew thought his girlfriend (same age) was pregnant!!! I can't believe it! I am actually a little concerned about his girlfriend. In my mind, the only way I can justify a 13 year old girl to be willing to have sex is that she must have been sexually assaulted. I'm not sure how my sister is handling this, however I suggested that she bring it up to their counselor. I take care of his twin sister, and this is making me nervous. I thought I had a few more years to go. These kids are just growing up to fast!!

mommyaunt412

Asked by mommyaunt412 at 3:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Why would you assume that the 13 year old girl had been molested but it's normal for the 13 year old boy?
    Anonymous

• I had sex willingly for the first time when I was 13. Looking back now I know that I was soooo young but sht happens. I wouldn't just assume she was sexually assaulted, and I would assume that your nephew isn't the one bangin her.
    Anonymous

• yea now a days kids start having sex as young as 9 maybe even younger i know when i was pregnant with my now 5yr old i had a baby love nurse and she was telling us how her youngest at the time was only 11 just the thought is scary but i would definitely think that being that young and having sex something either was done to them or something is missing in there life that they are now trying to fill but i would talk to him and also the girl and maybe her parents pending on the type they are too make they aware of what can happen and that it not a good thing to be doing at there age
    Anonymous

• With all that kids are exposed to today (i.e. we do live in the information age....media, television, internet), I'm not sure why you're surprised. A lot of parents are just aren't opening the lines of communication early enough and this is sometimes the result. Talk with your kids early and often.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Why do you assume that your nephew didn't have sex with his girlfriend? Are you sure they know what it takes to get pregnant? You know what they say about people who assume...............!
    Anonymous

• I've talked to his twin, she and I had a chat a while ago. And we still talk about it. I guess if it were reversed I'd assume differently, that he must have been assaulted. I raised him until he was ten, so I am pretty sure he wasn't assaulted.

I have not had a chance to talk to him directly about this yet, I just found out. But believe me, once I get the chance, he and I will talk. I wont be mean, or judgemental, just talk.

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but that makes me just as sad. Why, as a society, do we accept babies having sex?
    mommyaunt412

Answer by mommyaunt412 at 4:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I agree with the poster who thinks they may not know what it takes to get pregnant. Some kids still think that french kissing gets a female pregnant. Someone needs to talk with him and make sure they actually had penetrating sex. Maybe they just rubbed with clothes on and one of them had an orgasm. maybe fluids did not get exchanged. Maybe she just missed a period (for other reasons) and to her that makes her pregnant. Get the facts not just assumptions.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• according to stats (and yes take it with a grain of salt) but the age of first sexual encounters is under 12 now.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:44 AM on Feb. 5, 2009