School kids

As I am sitting here blindly waiting to see what teacher my kids will get for the upcoming school year (I have one going into 1st and another into 2nd) and have gotten all sorts of feedback from friends about the teachers such as so and so is so strict, so and so is better with girls, etc etc.

What would your thoughts be on if when you registered your child for school you had to fill out a post it note with, say, 5 descriptive words about your child. Then however many teachers there were per grade would be able to choose their students based on Mrs Smith is more patient so she takes the kids who are challenging and Mrs Jones is creative so she takes the artsy free spirits

Obviously my plan would be anonymous so no family feuds or weirdness ... and obviously this would not be successful in all situations and scenarios, particularly very small districts

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 1:54 PM on Aug. 11, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• It wouldn't work. Rarely can parents either see, or admit, to the faults their children have. Why would one teacher want to take all of the more challenging kids? What happens to the kids no one wants, and they're forced on teachers at random?
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:59 PM on Aug. 11, 2012

• We can do that in the schools my kids have been in. You fill out a form at the end of the school year (or when registering your child for Kinder) letting them know your child'strengths and weaknesses and if there are any areas your child needs extra help or encouragement. As it is, in the last school we were in the kids usually get their older siblings teachers for some reason. I guess if you liked the teacher that could be a good thing. Unfortunately, we have had a couple of teachers that didn't have a whole lot of personality or experience, which was disappointing. I just hope that they are better with the kids than they are with the parents. I am sure some of it has to be apprehension dealing with parents when you really don't know what kind of people they will be like dealing with for a whole year.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:00 PM on Aug. 11, 2012

• I like getting feedback from other parents about the teachers. I feel like I have an idea of what to expect. My dau rarely, if ever, gets into any kind of trouble at school, so I wouldn't want her to be distracted by being in a classroom full of the "challenging" kids. There's always going to be a couple, but I think most parents wouldn't want their children in that kind of situation. And some parents are clueless or in denial about how their kids behave in school. Others may not be honest about it either. The teachers need to communicate w/ ea. other on behavior issues so 1 teacher doesn't get her hands too full w/ the stinkers. :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2012

• My kids' school is great at placing the kids with the best teachers for them. They do have request sheets, but not many parents use them. I've used them a couple of years. My oldest son is really disorganized and needs a lot of structure, so I will request teachers who are more strict for him. My youngest has had a hard time learning how to read, so last year I requested a teacher I knew put tons of emphasis on reading (my oldest had her three years earlier). This year I didn't bother requesting teachers though. In both grades, I know the any of the teachers will be a good match. The school places the more difficult kids first, makes sure teachers don't have a whole classroom full of high needs kids, so they are more spread out. They get to know each kid pretty well so placements are usually great.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:03 PM on Aug. 11, 2012

• In the past I have asked for a more structured classroom because DS has a tendency to lose focus. He doesn't interrupt the class, he just starts to daydream. He got a good teacher for that when I asked for it and she knew what to look for. She wasn't Mrs. personality with the parents but she was a great teacher for him.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:06 PM on Aug. 11, 2012

• When my kids were in elementary, we were able to write a letter at the end of the previous year requesting a certain type of teacher. No names of specific teachers, just traits/teaching style that suited our child. I don't think many patents would be objective enough to describe their own child. :)

Answer by missanc at 2:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2012

• In theory, it sounds like a good idea. Some are saying that some/most parents wouldn't be able to describe their child for that purpose - my thought is not that thy couldn't, but that they would not be honest. They might know their child is difficult, but will deliberately say their child is easygoing, for example. But even if they could be completely honest, the problem then becomes that grouping the kids like that would be too difficult. If you put all the challenging kids in one class, okay, fine, that teacher's really patient. But if she has 20 challenging kids, how much work do you think will really get done? Do you think all of the kids will get all the attention and help they need? I think the classes need more of a mix, with easy and challenging, creative and logical, quicker to catch on and a little slower to catch on. Kids can often pick up on qualities like that in others and learn from them.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:45 PM on Aug. 11, 2012

• Here you can request a prefered teacher. Obviously not after the lists have been made and the sooner the better. Again obviously one teacher can not have 60 kids in her class because the parent requests.

We can meet with any teacher in the school. If it is not in our grade level we can request a meeting with the following years teachers ata any time. Beyond that they do ask you state your reasons why as teachers' times are at a premium.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:51 PM on Aug. 11, 2012

• That is done at my daughters school in lower school but Upper school is not that way.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 11, 2012

• The schools I worked at in the past had a set way of assigning classes for children. The known returning students would be divided up based on needs. Let's say ADHD was an issue. Known students with this issue would be distributed to teachers so one teacher would not be over loaded. Or if a child was dyslexic and there was a teacher more familiar with special training then that student went to her. New kids were a crap shoot. And kids moved that did not return. You can request a teacher, no harm there asblong as you make a solid case they try. Unless your principal is a total ass or lots of parents requested that same teacher. You can write down qualities of your child and areas that need extra support. That is very helpful. There are lots of factors that go into teacher assignment but it won't hurt to be your child's advocate.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:33 PM on Aug. 12, 2012