Anyone have a Leapfrog Tag Junior for their 2 year old? What do you think about it?

J is 2 (28 months.) J has been able to recognize all letters for a while now, and of course LOVES books, so I'm interested in getting him this Tag junior system.

However, I don't understand exactly how it works - they run the "pal" over the words in the book and it reads the words out loud to them? Is that how it works?

I really don't like him using many electronic toys, and I'm opposed to video-game type learning -- I want his time spent with physical items - real books, paper & pen, etc. But this seems like it may be good, given that they do use actual books.

Id just like your experiences and opinions about this junior product - how does it actually work? Is it a real pain to program/download to the books? (Or to the pal-thing, or however you do it?!)

Does anyone else have it for their young 2-year old?

Thanks for your help!

Jill97

Asked by Jill97 at 4:02 PM on Aug. 11, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We had it for the boys when they were 3.
    That's exactly how they work, you run the "pen" over the words and it reads the words out loud for the child to hear. It was not difficult to download.
    Mine lost interest in it within the first month or so. I donated the pen and all 5 books to the thrift shop. If I had had the original packaging I could have returned them for a full refund/credit - that's how little they were used.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:26 PM on Aug. 11, 2012

• I actually have two of the Tag Juniors (one for my 2 yo and one for my 3 yo). They both love it! We have a huge library of the books - we bought a bunch of them right after Christmas for almost nothing. Yes, you run it over the words and it reads it, sometimes it will ask you to find something ("find the red ball" etc) for them to interact with. The books are very easy to load,. you just go in to the program and click on the ones you want. I'm not sure what the actual age range on it is, but we got it for my daughter when she was 18 months and my son about the same age. My son is almost 4 and is starting to prefer his older brother's regular Tag Reader with the more involved books.

Answer by missanc at 4:30 PM on Aug. 11, 2012

• We got one for our 27 month old last Christmas. He already knew the alphabet and we had the ABC Animal Band book. Mostly, especially with that book, he just used the Tag Jr. To play the music and say the letters over and over. With the Tag Jr. they put it on a page, and if it's on the. Words, it will read all the words. If it's on another part of the page, there are lots of sounds and interactive things. We love it. W still read the books without it sometimes, so that DS doesn't get too used to the electronic versions. Overall, it was a good investment.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 6:40 PM on Sep. 23, 2012