how can i get my son to wipe his own bottom?

i was very successful getting him potty trained at 3. Now at 5 he rarely ever wets the bed, however when it comes to doing #2, he refuses to wipe himself. I have been wiping his bottom for him but now that he is in kindergarten im not there to do it for him. I have tried teaching him how to do it and even tried reasoning with him "if you poop in school and u dont wipe, u will smell and you dont want ppl to think ur smelly do you?" lol he says he doesnt wipe himself because it hurts his arm and he cant reach and when posed with the "smelly kid" question, he says he doesnt care. i'm at my wits end, please help!!!!

CindySpeaksUp

Asked by CindySpeaksUp at 3:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes their little arms ARE long enough!! Little boys are HORRIBLE at this and im not sure why and then they grow up to just be carless about this as adults too!! I would just tell him it has to be done and maybe start a reward system for every time he comes home with clean underwear!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 10:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Have you tried getting him wipes? Maybe that would encourage him. My son didn't wipe himself either until he went to kindergarden. I just told him that he had to do it and the teacher couldn't or she would get in trouble.
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 4:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• yep, i have the kandoo wipes, he still wont wipe though. i told him the same thing, that the teacher wouldn't be able to do it, he still refuses to do it himself and will come home with skid marks (pardon the term). I've even threatened to take away his toys if he doesn't wipe and he still wont wipe! am i missing something here? i never thought it would be this difficult and its becoming embarassing when i notice he smells bad when we take the bus home or we go somewhere after school :(
    CindySpeaksUp

Answer by CindySpeaksUp at 4:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• That's a tough one because I was going to suggest the wipes too. Or just tell him that you can't wipe him anymore that he's big enough to do it himself. Try a reward system. Is there something he really wants? Use that as an initiative. Good Luck!
    TaintedDreams

Answer by TaintedDreams at 5:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I have a 5 year old too and we are in the same situations. In all fairness, their little arms really aren't long enough, lol. I make my daughter wipe herself first with regular tp, then I wipe her with a wet wipe. She will NOT poop at school, I have had the whole conversation with her "what if you have to poop at school", she assures me that it isn't going to happen. But I still make her wipe herself before I wipe her so that she gets the practice in. Usually I'm glad that I am wiping her once I see that she has managed to wipe poop up her back, yuck.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My son was the same, didn't want to wipe... I would have him wipe, until the tp came back clean, then I would check for "klingons" (StarTrek reference) and clean up as needed.

Good luck!
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 12:39 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• same thing here with my "big boy" 6yr.old - we have the wipes but he still wants mommy to do it...I've started telling him that I will check his bottom after he tries his best. the amount of money we spend on wipes should be helping the economy recover (lol)
    carkitmom

Answer by carkitmom at 8:31 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• This is why I am starting now. My son is 3 but will be 4 in May. He has been potty trained since his 2nd birthday. He always yells from the bathroom "Wipe my butt, please!?!" So, I have him wipe first, then I check his butt. If he puts a good effort in, he gets a high five (after washing his hands)
    Kerfuffle

Answer by Kerfuffle at 9:10 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• You could also tell him that the bacteria in his poop is going eat his skin if he doesn't wipe it off. Then his butt is going to hurt.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:14 AM on Feb. 5, 2009

• thanks everyone for your responses, I'll definitely start making him wipe first then check. I'm also going to try using a reward system. maybe each time his undies come back clean he'll get $1 put in a piggie bank and at the end of the week we can go buy him something from the money he earned :) I'll also mention the skin eating poop bacteria lol XD
    CindySpeaksUp

Answer by CindySpeaksUp at 10:16 AM on Feb. 5, 2009