Sorry if TMI????

After getting a shower last night and putting his pj's on, my 10 yr. old son asked me why his penis seemed small. I didn't know what to say so I just said that as he gets older, it will too. But I think it bothers him bcause he didn't really seem to satisfied with my answer. And although, he's rather small and short himself (just 56 lbs.), I'm kind of curious if this is normal. He just had his yearly phys. on Tuesday and the Dr. didn't mention anything about it, so I'm thinking that it is. And again, I know this is probably TMI, but I'm just curious if any other moms have had their sons ask them the same ?. Please don't bash or make any comments about me being perverted in asking as I'm already embarrased for asking and I'm not really sure how to deal with this, what to think or what (if anything) I should ask his Dr.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would have answered the same, it will get bigger as he does. My oldest has asked me why his penis is not as big as dad's and I just said well none of the rest of you is either.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 4:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• My son is 5. A few weeks ago, in the morning, he was on the potty and said "look how big my weenie is!" and it was, bigger than normal. Maybe because it was first thing in the morning? IDK. But I didn't say anything, and then he asked me if I liked it! OMG, totally innocently. I guess because I didn't acknowledge how 'big' it was, he thought I didn't like it? I just walked away. I didn't know what to do!
    I think the answer you gave your son was just fine. Don't worry.
    Anonymous

• Answer his questions as they come. I suspect at 10 little boys are talking among themselves, I know mine were. If it will make you feel better put a call in to the pediatrician who just examined him. Ask..is there any physical growth issue you should be worried about. Don't be embarrassed to ask the Dr how to answer that question. They've heard worse..count on it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• tell him it grows with him. My son asked the same thing and I said well a baby sure would look funny if it was longer than he was.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 4:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• all these are good answers and now I have a question, what about when they ask why it's hard? One morning my son's was sticking up and he kinda freaked out and was like "Why won't it go down?!"
    Anonymous

• My son is only six and his is hard sometimes when he wakes up. I just tell him it's because its full of pee. That's the truth, right?
    Anonymous

• No, to Anon 255...little boys get erections just like older boys do. The penis fills with blood and makes it hard. It does not mean that little boys are sexually aroused at that time. Its a natural function of the male body. Men of all ages will tell you that they get erections for no reason sometimes. If you are ok with explaining it to him, just let him know that his penis gets that way to "practice" for when its time to make babies. You don't need to mention the blood filling it up b/c some kids worry (they associate blood with an injury). Just let him know it will go away on its own and its nothing to worry about.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 9:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Well if he has seen his fathers then he would think he is small for a reason. I think you did the right thing and should NOT make a big deal about this. Tell him it will grow as the rest of his body grows and let it go.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:16 PM on Feb. 5, 2009