my sons dog just BIT me.. he has never gone atfer my son AT ALL but he just bit me cuz i tried to take away a bag a cookies he got into... and he chomped at me.. not bad but he broke skin what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Pets

• I agree - first off, deal with your own health. Clean the bite well if it's a shallow scrape. If it's a deeper puncture wound, go get seen.

Next, it depends partly on how young your kids are. If all your kids are over 8 or 9, go over the dog safety rules. Stress how even the friendliest, most happy dog can bite. Just like yours did. I've seen stats saying that over 60% of dog bites are by loving family dogs who have never bitten before. The number one rule for all children to follow is never take any food item away from the dog. If you have kids under 8, then you need to be extra careful with them. Never leave them alone with the dog. If you have to take something from the dog again, take a broom and try to get it away from the dog first. Do NOT stick your hands (and face) near the dog's mouth to get the item.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• First off.. treat the bite. Make sure it is cleaned well. If there are puncture wounds you need to be seen to be sure they are cleaned well. Technically you should report the dog..but thats a hard one. Is the dog up to date on shots? Particularly rabies shot. If he is not up to date you MUST call your local animal control office.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Also, it could be that dog is protective of food. Might be that you accidentally triggered the response.
    MsChevious

Answer by MsChevious at 4:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• thanks ladies.. yeh i put perodixe on it my son is only 2 and he knows not to touch puppy by his mouth... and yes he has all his shots... i made sure of that when we got him the only time he ever growls is when we take somethn from him...
    Anonymous

• I also saw a tip for getting something out of a dogs mouth. It is based on dog psychology and is called "the trade"...essentially you offer your dog something he'll like better (beggin strip?) ...when he takes that, you take whatever it is he has gotten into. This creates a non violent way to get what you want.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• With what I know about dogs that are possessive about food or treats ,bones or their food dish, they are not a good match for a family. Don't know if he is all these above but you need to get the dog evauluated to see  if he is able to be trained. What kind of dog?,how long have you had him? did he do this before? or is it his first time?You have a 2yr old child . Their brains are still under construction and can get into trouble if he tries taking any item from him . Or even yourself or hubby. The dog needs someone who is experienced in this behavior to teach him NOT to do this again. Be very careful until you can get help. He should not be trusted until you know more about this issue. For your own protection donot take anything from him til you get some help. Call or write to Cesar Malan,(the dog whisper) or get a referance to a trainer who can help you. Take care and be safe.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 5:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• We purposefully messed around near our dog's mouths while they were eating as puppies. We wanted them used to the idea of having people take things from them (on the off-chance one of the kids tried). Neither of our dogs (pit bull and american bulldog) have any issues with us giving them a bone and taking it away.

There are a few common sense things to know about dogs (not trying to be rude). One is never put your hand near their mouth to take something away (unless you're doing it to train them)...another is to never run away from them. They're just gonna chase you down.

My guess is that you were probably shocked, started yelling at him, and then proceeded to go towards him with your hand out. What would your reaction be? I don't think that because your dog bit your hand in that particular situation, that he's a killer. I'd be more cautious with him for awhile.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• ya i have a shepherd and i am very carful with him around other people.i know that he isnt food agressive.but im not sure about other things.i had a golden that bite my daughter straight threw her arm pit. i had to take her to the drs.i knew the dog was visciuos i didnt know why we got him in the woods from a nice breeder.well i had to put the dog in quarintine for ten days,he still acted viscious(in a different way than a bigger breed)so we had to put him down... buddy dog wouldnt take him or golden rescue because he bite.so i am telling you be wary if you go to the drs,i think some dogs no matter what the breed are just viscious by nature...
    snowmom974

Answer by snowmom974 at 6:21 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I would get a behaviorist in to work with you and your dog so that you have a relationship of trust and clear authority. My dog knows that everything in this house is MINE and all I have to do is say "drop it" and he will. Even if it were a steak he would drop it because he respects me and knows I am the leader. I have worked with him from 8 weeks old to be able to take anything and everything away from him in any circumstance, and then worked on the drop it command so he will let go of anything he has. It is incredibly important that you get this under control NOW before he bites your child. You can go to www.apdt.com for trainers in your area. Also google NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) and study up, this is the best way to manage a dog day to day...
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:20 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Good Answer KTMOM. My sentiments exactly.

A dog that acts aggressively for ANY reason is a liability and not safe to be around a child unless you can get that behavior curbed with 100% certainty. Children are unpredictable. A dog that is around children cannot afford to be. It's just not worth the risk.

I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 11:54 PM on Feb. 4, 2009