WHAT IS THE AGE THE BABY CRIES THEMSELF TO SLEEP?

I KNOW THERE IS A POINT WHERE BABIES ARE JUST FUSSY AND ARE LEFT TO CRY THEMSELVES TO SLEEP, WHEN IS THAT? I KNOW NOT EVERYONE DOES IT BUT THOSE THAT DO.

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 4:42 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It depends on the child and the parent. Yes, some parents never will. But some kids need to fuss themselves to sleep (not scream) at just a few months and some wont' fall asleep that way ever.
    In general, if you want to use CIO, most sources say not to do so before 6 months, some say closer to a year.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:47 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• it all depends on the kid. my daughter is 6 months and shes done it and been perfectly fine
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 4:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Mine have never done that. So I dont know.

Answer by gemgem at 4:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Do you mean the age you leave them to cry to sleep or the age they will just do it because they are overly tired? My son is 4 months old and has cried himself to sleep when there's nothing else I can do, but I don't just leave him to do it. I try to fix whatever the problem is. My DD though we let CIO at 10 months because she was getting up 4 or 5 times a night.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 4:47 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Wow, I guess I will sound bad saying this, but I had to let my little girl CIO at a month old because there wasn't anything I could do after 3 or 4 hrs of her crying. But after she cried for about 15 min by herself, she fell asleep. She was just overly exhausted and didn't want to go to sleep. I think it all depends on the situation and why it is happening. However, it isn't something I practice. I've only done it the one time.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 5:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Why do you want to do this? My kids are 2.5 years and 16 months and we still don't ever make them go to sleep alone... They need the comfort of knowing we are there.

BUT, my doctor told us not to do it before 9-10 months if you must let them alone...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:28 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• At no age does a baby cry themselves to sleep unless they have neglectful, unloving parents.

Anonymous

• Although I COMPLETELY disagree with CIO, they say not to do it before 6 months if you're going to do it. Babies cry for a reason- it's their only form of communication- whether they're hungry or just need a cuddle. Sorry, not trying to be rude, but when you signed up to be a parent, you signed up for sleepless nights. Nightwaking is completely normal up until the age of two. Good Luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 5:39 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I DO NOT agree with CIO methods at all. My baby has never had to go to sleep alone. And I think shes happier becuase of it. Why would you want to do that after they have been inside you for that long? just let them be on theri own. I disagree with the whole thing. But the younger they are the worse it is....studies have shown that if they are too young and cry for too long (longer than 10 min.) they could actually get brain damage.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Your baby is only a month old? You are in for a long haul if this is the attitude you already have. A child at this age NEEDS, in everyway, to wake during the night. CIO is something that you need to read into further because if you are even contemplating it now it makes me wonder if you know what CIO is. CIO does not mean leaving baby to cry until they fall asleep. CIO is a sleep training methods with 'rules' and 'procedures' to follow. Please do a bit of research and enjoy the time that you have with baby now.  Sleep is a developmental stage reached in baby's own time.  Forcing the matter only complicates things further.

Anonymous