cant put him down

my son is 4 weeks what can I do to get him to sleep without being held?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it all depends on how comfortable you are with CIO. a lot of people will tell you you cant spoil a baby that young, but i personally believe you can. I worked in daycare and saw it all the time. start with laying him down, even if its after you rock him to sleep. if he starts crying leave him for about 5 minutes, come back and rub his back to calm him down, but dont pick him up. rub his back for a couple minutes, then leave again, wait another 5 minutes and repeat. it will seem tiring at first, but he will learn that he can sleep on his own. if you wait too long, you may never get him to sleep without you. my best friend still has her 2 1/2 year old sleeping with her, because she just couldnt stand to hear him cry. so it depends on your views on CIO, but thats my suggestion
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 4:47 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• try putting him in his carseat or swing or bouncer and the movement may help him get to sleep without you having to hold him
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• also, try a swaddle, or wrapping him up in one of your shirts. that tight secure feeling may help him to feel more safe when hes sleeping, and if you use your shirt, he'll be able to smell you still
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 4:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• he is 4 weeks...are you kidding?

My son slept on someone pretty much all the time until he was 6 months. Give the poor thing a chance. Most babies fear being eaten (we are one of the only if not the only specie that doesn't have anything to protect us as a baby apart from our parents) - they do not know they are in a safe place when you leave them...
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• 4 weeks is way to young to sleep through the night. And no, you can't spoil a month old baby.
    Ivayla

Answer by Ivayla at 6:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2009