What can we do?

I was watching a program last night. It was about clothing recycling. It really made me think.
THere are people in the world who have nothing, not even the basic necassities. Food, clothing and shelter are the basics. clothing is the one most skimped on, most overlooked.
They were talking about recycling clothing in India. They receive clothing and whatever can be used, is given away. Or repaired and given away. Whatever cannot be used to turned into school bags for children and cloth menstral pads for women. SOme women dont even have a scrap of cloth to use on their period. THey jst bleed. Or share the same cloth with 1 or more family members!
What can I do to help? I dont have any extra money, I am struggling myself, but I have it better then them, I have old clothing, old baby clothing and a sewing machine that I can turn those things into useful, beneficial products!
Does anyone know how to do that for people here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No idea but maybe you can call United Way and get information on who needs help and how to help. I donate old clothes and stuffed toys to our domestic violence shelter. Most of the women and kids there leave their home with nothing more then the clothes on their backs.

Answer by gemgem at 4:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Has nothing to do with OP here, but the response KY and AR and MO got from local EMA's was terrible. I found myself asking where in the world was FEMA recently in my own backyard we have hundreds here in MO with no electricity still, destroyed homes and cars, no water to drink and flooding from frozen pipes, and old people dying freezing to death inside their homes.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 4:56 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• I have no problem helping other countries, but geez, why can't we help our own citizens in the dead center of the country. All we can do is watch it on T.V. ? The US had a recent natural disaster a week ago and people are still suffering.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 5:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• Akinbottom2: Thats what I am asking, how can I do HERE in USA what they are doing in India? How can I start an organization like that here? How can I get together with my community, with my fellow citizens and get donations? Give out those donations to people in need? I am starting out with what I have and my sewing machine and my mom is also helping. But I dont know where to go from here.
    GemGem: Thanks for the advice and Idea!
    Anonymous

• Exactly, Why can't we get more help in the US? That's what I found myself asking myself for the whole last week. I have no idea where to begin.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 5:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• You get a group together and start working. thats what my local moms group did for Hurricane Katrina. a group of moms put the word out and made calls. A trucking company offered a truck and driver. People donated money to pay for gas and the community donated. School supplies, clothing, bedding, toiletries, canned food items. then we packed and shipped everything to a church in texas where there were refugees. The Church distributed everything. Our problem was what we didnt have a ton of money to donate. and evreyone was hering how awful the red Cross and other organizations handled funds. we wanted what we donated to go directly to the people. So it did. It took organization, lots of volunteers, and work. but we did it! You should have seen some of the interesting stuff that was donated!
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 5:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20050907/ai_n15809877
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 5:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2009

• We are to help where ever in the world our hearts call us to. Whether that's here or their human lives should be equal.Some countries people so desperate if they could live on america's streets as a beggar they would think they hit the jack pot.So I don't like the ignorance of let's just help america.Everybody counts!
    summerray5

Answer by summerray5 at 6:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2009