Keeping Stuff

in K and 1st grade I kept everything my son did, than after it got too be too overwhelming I decided to just keep stuff for that school year than toss it.
I do keep for him report card, certificates, note/postcards from friend/teachers, pictures, some drawings, writings, but everything else goes at the end of the school year.

My mother passed away when my siblings and I were in our 30's and 40's and she had kept everything from elementary to high school for all 8 of us. Packed in many boxes.

We had many laughs and tears going thru it all but at the end we chose not to keep any of it, since we do not have a way to organize it or time to devote to organizing it all.

How much of your children's school work do you keep and for how long do you keep it?

virginiamama71

Asked by virginiamama71 at 10:49 AM on Aug. 12, 2012 in

• My son just started Kindergarten I have deacided to keep report cards, certificates, note/postcards from friend/teachers, pictures, drawings that he chooses to keep I will only keep 5 per year my mom woud have us pick which ones we wanted saved if we found one we wanted more then another she would say ok which one do you want to get rid of? and then shed hand it on the fridge for like a week then toss it,
    supgrl87

Answer by supgrl87 at 11:17 AM on Aug. 12, 2012

• My son just started kindergarten 2 weeks ago. I have kept everything so far. I planned on doing exactly what you said your mom did. But now that I read that....maybe Ill just keep the important stuff.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 11:21 AM on Aug. 12, 2012

• I keep year-end report cards, since the info from past quarters is on there already, gifts made at Christmas and Mother's Day, and anything else I find particularly endearing. I still need to find a frame for this huge posterboard-sized painting my 1st grader made last year, when he learned about Monet. It's gorgeous, and though I've never framed my child's artwork before, this I want framed. I keep very little normally.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 12, 2012

• Report cards, mementos from field trips, all school year pictures, and very special art work.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:54 PM on Aug. 12, 2012

• When my oldest daughter started kindergarten,no think I kept every scrap of paper. Then it dwindled down to art projects, report cards, etc.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:08 PM on Aug. 12, 2012

• I keep report cards. That's it.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:37 AM on Aug. 14, 2012

• We keep report cards and other important stuff. Art projects get dumped after a certain time. We pull out the used pages in a spiral notebook so we could reuse it.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:18 PM on Aug. 23, 2012

• Small things. I bought a school memory book and have kept that up each year. It has pockets for little things.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 24, 2012

Next question in
College credits VS hours

Next question overall (Home & Garden)
Closet systems?